Recommend multi tool

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
workinwifdakids

Recommend multi tool

Post by workinwifdakids »

I want a new multi tool. My budget is $75. I need pliers, a blade, a Philips head, a straight head, a bottle opener, a can opener, and I'd like a saw. I want something tough. Any ideas on specific models?
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Netpackrat

Re: Recommend multi tool

Post by Netpackrat »

I haven't carried one in years (decided I didn't want it to become FOD), but I had a Gerber that I liked.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

Swisstool X, by Victorinox, slightly out of your $$ range, $85 & change shipped, used. New, they go for +/- $100.
I love mine, and gifted one to baby brother.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Denis

Post by Denis »

Another vote for the Victorinox Swisstool - at the price Aesop found, that's a steal! They are as tough as all get out - fantastic steel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Aesop wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

Swisstool X, by Victorinox, slightly out of your $$ range, $85 & change shipped, used. New, they go for +/- $100.
I love mine, and gifted one to baby brother.
I would love one of those, but they're a little too high for my liking even used.

From personal experience I'd suggest a Leatherman (I know, so buy used) Wave. The old-style one without the fiddly useless drivers and bits. Those seem to go around $50 or so used. I've been using mine regularly for over 10 years.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

I was given an original Leatherman for a birthday present in 1986. It's still going strong. Though the wire cutters leave a lot to be desired, everything else works just fine.
oilcrash

Post by oilcrash »

I have been issued basic Gerber multitools, but they don't have saws. I do, however, carry my letherman wave daily which has pliers, replaceable/interchangable large and small slot and cross drivers, pliers, scissors, and bottle/can opener and retialas around 60-70
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Here's another vote for the old Leatherman Wave.

I have an original Leatherman PST which I leave in my range bag. When I'm out and want a multi tool handy, I have the Wave.

I've used other people's various multi-tools, and the Wave seems to have just enough stuff, but not too much, and two features that really make it great for me:
- the handles don't bite your hand when you use the pliers,
- you can open the knives with one hand, and... er...

Three features make it make it great for me: :D
- the handles don't bite your hand when you use the pliers,
- you can open the knives with one hand, and
- the way you open the pliers is more comfortable than the way Gerbers open

Other features that others may share:
- I like the wide variety of slotted screwdriver sizes - from tiny to wide
- the phillips head seems to fit a wide variety of screw sizes adequately
- the file has a metal side and a wood side

I haven't handled the New Wave, but it looks a bit "cooler" while looking a bit less generally useful.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I had a Wave briefly. Liked it better than the Gerber I have now for the above mentioned reasons. Lost it from my belt pouch somewhere in the dirt under a house while working on a waste line. Didn't realize it until later and wasn't about to crawl back into that stinky space again.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Rich

Post by Rich »

I have owned both the Swisstool and the Leatherman Wave for a number of years. The Swisstool is a bit bigger, but they're both tough and fairly comfortable to use. To make a choice, my opinion is even though the Leatherman has scissors and the Swisstool doesn't, I still prefer the Swiisstool as it feels more "right" to me. Maybe it's the added heft or slightly bigger size. If I need scissors, I use my Leatherman micra I have on my keychain.

Hope this helps.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964