Recommend multi tool

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Greg

Re: Recommend multi tool

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:I didn't find the ability to deploy the pliers one-handed in the Gerber as easy as doing it one-handed with a Wave, but I didn't spend much time with it.
One-handed deployment of pliers is, to my mind, one of those marginal features that you will very rarely need. But when you do find yourself needing it, you really need it. That said, I can deploy the pliers in my Wave one-handed, and more easily and with a great deal less finger pain and potential for pinching than in the (admittedly quite few) Gerber's I've messed with.

Just for fun I bought a couple of Leatherman Squirt P4's this morning. Used, of course. Pretty good price, too.

I've read about Leatherman's activities, and will not buy a new tool from him. But I will buy them used, as there is no direct economic benefit to the enemy and I find the utility of the tool for my own purposes sufficient to justify any distasteful associations. Like I wouldn't buy a Norinco AK or SKS, but would be willing to buy a Commie surplus example of a 7.62x39 carbine.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

The Gerber I'm thinking of just flips around into pliers easy as a butterfly knife. I need to confirm what model it is with my friend. He's helping me with a new driveway drain line, I'll see him again tomorrow or Monday.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

blackeagle603 wrote:The Gerber I'm thinking of just flips around into pliers easy as a butterfly knife. I need to confirm what model it is with my friend. He's helping me with a new driveway drain line, I'll see him again tomorrow or Monday.
I'm willing to admit ignorance- the Gerber's I've tried had kind of a 'push button and slide' kind of deployment scheme. And the button was generally stiff enough to hurt and the sliding could punish a poorly placed grip.

(Edit: Or was that the Swisstools that do that? The 'push a button and slide the pliers out' deployment method. Am I confused? Anyway, I don't like pliers that deploy that way.)

If that's all obsolete info, I'm going to have to have a look. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

The squeeze buttons and slide is the Gerber way. I am going to have to give them another look. I really do like my swisstool though.
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Thanks all for your advice. I decided to pull the trigger on the Gerber Diesel in black. I'll let you know my impressions when they arrive. By all means continue the conversation though.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

CByrneIV wrote:I really loved mine... and my similar bucktool... until I broke them both, in the same way (their tension mechanisms broke and made them floppy).
I wonder if the ones I played with were broken in a similar manner.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

The problem with all multitools is they are all made of stainless steel. Good if you are a fisherman, I guess.

Most of the time I want pliers in the field is to work with wire, mostly steel wire. Stainless kind of knaws it's way through steel wire and leaves the jaws ugly looking. The knives and saws are less useful than those on a SAK, which leaves the screwdrivers.

I always have an EDK knife with me. A little swisstool on my keychain takes care of screwdrivers. Which leaves the pliers and wirecutters. Carbon steel pliers with drop forged jaws can be had for under $10 at almost any hardware store. I carry those instead of a multitool.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

A friend got me a $15 multi tool from Wally World for my birthday. She was on a tight budget in college and figured I could use it in the construction world. Best damned multi tool I've ever used. I'm pretty hacked that I don't know where it is. I suspect it's packed and in storage, but I won't know for sure until my new orders come out and I PCS.