BIT: Walking stick

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
BDK

BIT: Walking stick

Post by BDK »

I think I mentioned this before, but as I, and several of the other members, could *use* a stick at times - I can get by w.o. one most days, but I admit my knee was getting rather dodgy today...

How machinable is this alloy, really? Machineable tungsten.

I'm thinking a knob and cap of tungsten, and a Ti-Nb alloy shaft, might be very handy.
Lokidude

Re: BIT: Walking stick

Post by Lokidude »

Could've used one myself today. Rainstorms do a number on my knee. I've thought more than once about this.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I have to admit I still want a sword cane, but they're too long. I need 33-34".

I have an REI Hiker staff that I really like. The cork knob is pretty comfortable.

I also have a custom wooden one - slick finish, looks like cherry, wooden knob at the top. It tries to give me blisters if I'm not wary of its attempts.

Whatever you come up with, pay attention to the grip and blisters.

ETA: on the other cold steel sticks, I like the weight and size of the slim stick, but it looks like a pimp cane. The city stick might be OK.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

For some things, there's nothing like a good piece of hickory.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Honestly, it sounds like BDK would be better off with one of Cold Steel's "City sticks"
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Never overlook the obvious and low-tech:
3' of 3/4" or 1" black pipe, with a 90-degree elbow and 6" stub handle and a pair of caps.
You can cover it with thin wood laminate, a good faux-finish paint, woodtone shelf paper, custom fabricate solid wood surround and epoxy in place, have the local custom paint shop make it into a work of art, or leave it plain.
It's over-built as a cane, delivers one helluva wallop as an improvised weapon, hollow to permit putting anything inside, including a mini-survival kit, 8 ounces of lead shot, a tube flask of adult beverage, or all of the above, and it's pre-threaded at the ends, allowing access to same, as well as handy presto-change-o tip selection for fancy floors versus rocky trails.

And the materials price for the basic implement is under $20. 8-)

Having sprained knees a few times over the years wrassling with retards, I tend to take late night strolls for personal PT rehab. When you're less than totally physically agile to handle anyone who may happen by, and live in a state that until recently regarded CCW as the spawn of the antichrist, you get creative.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

BDK - what are you trying to achieve?

Weight? Strength? Cool factor?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Irish Blackthorn.

Thatisall.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Cool factor/as long as I have to accept that my body is failing a little bit, I may as well make my weaknesses as useful as possible.

I was trying to maximize the strength and rotational inertia per pound.
Bob K

Post by Bob K »

As someone who's needed a cane to walk for some years, a few thoughts ...

Definitions:

Cane: A stick to support weight.

Walking stick: Carried by a Victorian dandy, strolling through the park or up the lane. NOT to support weight.

I will carry a blackthorn when wife & I go out of an evening (around here, it looks a bit dressy).

Also a heavy stick (oak or hickory, not sure) with a heavy brass knob handle.

During the day, an ordinary cane.
"Youth and skill are no match for age and treachery." Unknown

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

"Oderint dum metuant." ("Let them hate, so long as they fear.") Accius