Opinel Knives

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
SeekHer

Re: Opinel Knives

Post by SeekHer »

They are not "outdoorsman's" knives but a farmer's EDC like a W.R. Case Sodbuster...Used to cut baling twine, score a sapling for a graft, carve an apple for lunch, maybe dress out a rabbit--although they are robust enough to do a deer, from first hand knowledge.

I had gotten one, in the mail, suddenly one day with a France postmark and as I always take my blades and try them on animals before keeping or trading them (except gifts) it worked fine when I used it to help a neighbour dress out a sheep...An unknown Belgium residing foulness of life (lawyer) is responsible and I thank him again...BTW--Alas, I still do not possess the Laguiole except when I'm permitted to touch it.

They made their way into the kitchen as paring and boning knives and of course in the picnic basket.

Comparing them to anything else, especially a Mora, is inane.

They are an extremely old pattern, dating back to Roman times but I don't know when, exactly, the rotating ring lock came about but I know it was before the 1780s (There is one in a book of Rev War Arms) but Opinel patented it in 1955.

For an EDC blade they are fine but as a combat/defensive they lack a lot although they were used during both world wars by the Francs-Tireurs (Resistance) in Belgium and France with lethal results.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I received the Opinel #8 today via Amazon. Wasn't quite sure what to expect... decent little knife, blade's about 3 1/4" long. The handle has a taper and curve toward the heel end. The locking mechanism is interesting, simple and effective. And no, it's not a Mora, but it's not bad. Nice blade in any event. Pretty sharp out of the box, I touched it up a bit on the fine diamond stone. Here it is at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Opinel-Garden-Kni ... ndle+Knife

At $13.99, the price is comparable to the Mora Carbon Clipper. For the money, I daresay the Mora is a better knife.

Looking at Opinel's US website, I see nothing about blade sizes. Is there any convention to blade number and size or such?

Speaking of Moras, I had occasion today to use the Clipper I keep in my toolbox at work. I used it to cut down a sheet of 1/2" Nomex blanket. Nomex is quite tough stuff, the Mora went through it like, well, a hot knife through butter. ;)
Eppur si muove--Galileo
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Darrell wrote:I received the Opinel #8 today via Amazon. Wasn't quite sure what to expect... decent little knife, blade's about 3 1/4" long. The handle has a taper and curve toward the heel end. The locking mechanism is interesting, simple and effective. And no, it's not a Mora, but it's not bad. Nice blade in any event. Pretty sharp out of the box, I touched it up a bit on the fine diamond stone. Here it is at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Opinel-Garden-Kni ... ndle+Knife

At $13.99, the price is comparable to the Mora Carbon Clipper. For the money, I daresay the Mora is a better knife.

Looking at Opinel's US website, I see nothing about blade sizes. Is there any convention to blade number and size or such?

Speaking of Moras, I had occasion today to use the Clipper I keep in my toolbox at work. I used it to cut down a sheet of 1/2" Nomex blanket. Nomex is quite tough stuff, the Mora went through it like, well, a hot knife through butter. ;)
The knife "number" is the length of the blade, in centimeters.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Not to change the subject, but the consensus is that Moras are good knives? I know nothing about them, but the price sure seems right.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Oh yes Mora's are good knives. Extraordinarily good for the money. But they are absolutely no frills.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Denis

Post by Denis »

SeekHer wrote:An unknown Belgium residing foulness of life (lawyer) is responsible and I thank him again...BTW
Hey, I resemble that remark! Nice to hear from you - did you get my e-mail recently? If not, shoot me a message, and I'll resend it...
SeekHer wrote:--Alas, I still do not possess the Laguiole except when I'm permitted to touch it.
All as it should be, then... :-)
Denis

Post by Denis »

Darrell wrote:I received the Opinel #8 today via Amazon.
Lucky you. Well wear, and don't cut your finger!
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Denis wrote:
I learned long ago to not test an edge with my fingertip. ;) I test it against my thumbnail--if it bites into the nail, the knife is sharp.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Greg

Post by Greg »

Darrell wrote:
Denis wrote:
I learned long ago to not test an edge with my fingertip. ;) I test it against my thumbnail--if it bites into the nail, the knife is sharp.
I do that when I'm running low on forearm hair. :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr