Colin Furze - DIY Wolverine claws

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Aesop

Colin Furze - DIY Wolverine claws

Post by Aesop »

h/t to Weaponsman

I know nobody here is interested in stabby X-man retractable claws, or engineering, or amusing wastes of time.
But just in case, this guy is a hoot. Some sort of DNA cross between Adam and Jaimie at Mythbusters, and the late Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, this guy is a hilarious Brit hobby engineer with an HD videocam and way too much time and energy on his hands.

So he made the Making of video for Wolverine claws.
And the vid of the finished functioning claws.

He's a damn good practical engineer, and other than my worry that he's one door-knock from getting hauled in by Special Branch for violating Limeystan's ridiculous anti-weapons laws, I have to wonder why he isn't either running a multi-million dollar film studio prophouse, or hosting a weekly Discovery show for insane amounts of cash.

His YouTube channel has 76 videos, so after watching these two, I know I'm not getting another thing done this morning.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Greg

Re: Colin Furze - DIY Wolverine claws

Post by Greg »

CByrneIV wrote:Because... If you could... Why wouldn't you?
Because Wolverine's claws without his healing... are a good way to kill yourself, slowly and painfully.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Good music - check
Some actual engineering skills - check
Nutcase - check

Bloody awesome

Edit - now I've seen a few more of his videos I actually recognise some of the places they were filmed, or at least I think I do.
I am 99% sure he's from Lincolnshire, that's the next county over from where we lived in England.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

OMFG.

Magnetic upside down walking boots.
Pulse rocket powered bicycle.
70MPH HoverRound mobility scooter.
Flame-shooting motor scooter.
Jet turbine BBQ.

And he's actually doing this stuff in his backyard workshed.
Dude needs an abandoned airfield, with a handy explosives pit/firing range, and a high-roofed hangar.

He and his band of co-conspirators are a one-man edition of RobotWars crossed with Just For Laughs, with an over-generous dollop of "This isn't going to end well, but the explosion and resultant carnage will be epic!"

Somebody needs to send him a face shield, safety goggles, a motorcycle helmet, and some leather welding gloves and apron, before he really hurts himself.
Nomex togs and a surplus aluminized crash rescue suit wouldn't be out of line.

For far less than half the budget of Deadliest Catch, I could make this guy a Top Ten cable show in about a month.
A quarter of the budget for parts, and another quarter for liability insurance and fines.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aesop wrote:OMFG.

Magnetic upside down walking boots.
Pulse rocket powered bicycle.
70MPH HoverRound mobility scooter.
Flame-shooting motor scooter.
Jet turbine BBQ.
When will somebody invent a nitro hop rod?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt