Replacement EDC Pocketknife

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
MarkD

Replacement EDC Pocketknife

Post by MarkD »

The Kershaw Storm II knife that has been my daily companion for several years is starting to get worn, so it's time to replace it. Here it is, for comparison purposes:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Kershaw- ... 224605.uts

Unfortunately, it's been discontinued, so since I like this one so much I'm looking for something similar, and was hoping for a recommendation.

Given where I live and work (NJ and NYC respectively), and my preferences, I have a few requirements:

1) About a 3" blade (the Storm as 3.25, which I find about perfect), non-serrated (don't like 'em) blade.

2) One-handed opening via thumb-stud/flip, but....

3) NO assisted opening. Don't need some over-zealous cop hauling me in for a "switchblade". Yeah, I know, there's a difference, I'd rather not chance it.

4) Blade locks open (and yes, I know what that entails in NYC, which brings me to)

5) Max price about $50, something I won't feel too bad about if I have to toss it.

6) A pocket clip is good to have, when I clip it I have it right-side point down, inside the pocket.

My knives are carried a lot and used a little, so corrosion resistance is fairly important while blade quality is secondary. Thin and light-weight is important too, again, carried a lot and used a little.
rightisright

Re: Replacement EDC Pocketknife

Post by rightisright »

There are a few blemished Storm IIs on eBay right now.

Linky: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kershaw-1475-St ... 417d95773d
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

I didn't give the Kershaw Skyline a second look until a friend of mine showed me his. I like it a lot for the price. It's a completely different blade profile but it fits your specs if you don't mind a flipper (unassisted).

I really liked the Spyderco Endura until I mistook it for a pry-bar. The Spyderco Tenacious may fit your specs and price range a little more closely.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

NYC has an issue with locking folders? Hell, any knife I consider a serious working blade must be a locker. Non-locking knives get you cut. Maroons.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

If the blade doesn't lock, then it's a penknife, suitable only for scribes to use to sharpen quills. A working knife is either a fixed blade, or a locking folder.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

First Shirt wrote:If the blade doesn't lock, then it's a penknife, suitable only for scribes to use to sharpen quills. A working knife is either a fixed blade, or a locking folder.
Which is why is scares the shiite out of NYFC politicos, especially those who have EVER watched West Side Story. Knives scare the Holy Crap out of them!!! They're like the current British, who think trying to control them among the law-abiding will simply make EVERYTHING ALL BETTER!!!

We've controlled guns, and now they're using knives (like they never noticed before), so now they feel they need to try and control sharp objects. WHAT A BUNCH OF MORONS!!! But that's NYFC for ya'!!!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Greg

Post by Greg »

Durham68 wrote:I didn't give the Kershaw Skyline a second look until a friend of mine showed me his. I like it a lot for the price. It's a completely different blade profile but it fits your specs if you don't mind a flipper (unassisted).

I really liked the Spyderco Endura until I mistook it for a pry-bar. The Spyderco Tenacious may fit your specs and price range a little more closely.
Kershaw makes a lot of really nice, inexpensive EDC-type knives. Be careful when you look though because many of their knives are assisted opening (they have their own assisted opening mechanism that they're pretty proud of). For non-assisted designs, ones that I've found appealing are the Skyline (seconded) and the OD-1 and OD-2 (similar designs, different sizes).

Personally I tend to carry a Blackout or Leek but those are both assisted opening.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

First Shirt wrote:If the blade doesn't lock, then it's a penknife, suitable only for scribes to use to sharpen quills. A working knife is either a fixed blade, or a locking folder.
I'm a fixed blade fan...and a lock makes me more comfortable with folders....BUT....I've used non-locking leatherman and swiss-army knives to great effect, on pretty much any task I've set them to. Don't be an idiot, and don't lose situational awareness, and you'll do just fine with a non-locking folder as long as you don't use it as a weapon.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

JKosprey wrote: I'm a fixed blade fan...and a lock makes me more comfortable with folders....BUT....I've used non-locking leatherman and swiss-army knives to great effect, on pretty much any task I've set them to. Don't be an idiot, and don't lose situational awareness, and you'll do just fine with a non-locking folder as long as you don't use it as a weapon.
Gerber makes a great multi-tool gadget. But all the blades lock (even the screwdrivers), which makes it easier to use. Granted, it's not something I'd want to take into a knife fight, but it fills a multitude of purposes, at a really reasonable price.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Lokidude wrote:NYC has an issue with locking folders?
The specific issue is with the thumb stud on most blades today, because using an extremely skewed interpretation of the cities switchblade law, they've taken to prosecuting everyday schmoes, who promptly pleabargain down, thus raising the DAs win/loss record.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt