Why A "Neck Knife?"

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
skb12172

Why A "Neck Knife?"

Post by skb12172 »

They seem like they would be uncomfortable and impractical to me….carrying a defense knife on a lanyard around your neck. Some of you apparently swear by them. Let's hear the pros and cons.

Cut Away! :D
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Cobar

Re: Why A "Neck Knife?"

Post by Cobar »

I don't use one, but I would assume that you would get used to it like anything else that people wear around their neck.

I guess depending on how you dress it would be easier to conceal it and might be easier to get to. Also, if someone is accosting you and you go for a pocket they might assume you are going for a weapon. If you start grabbing up your shirt they might think your some kind of nut giving you some psychological advantage? That, and it leaves your pockets free for more crap.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I have one. Check out this post (good thread, too):

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ost9882402

The one I have is the Swamp Rat Swamp Warden, though mine has a black coating. Same Buy Brown kydex. I put a breakaway paracord lanyard on mine.

I don't wear it for defense (well except the one time I had to pick someone up from Newark airport after midnight) but rather as a 'just one extra' knife, belt-and-suspenders kind of deal. You don't always need it or want it, but when you want an extra knife it's in a place it's not going to snag on anything, it's only mildly awkward to reach, and you are able to maintain a positive sense (because it's sitting on your sternum between your manly pecs) that it's there.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Termite

Post by Termite »

Duck hunters in chest waders have been known to wear them. Personally I think a better option than cutting your waders off is to wear the PFD inflatable suspenders.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

A neck knife would be the quickest way to stab your eyes out in the event Hillary Clinton decided to do some twerking on national TV.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I would only carry a neckblade for convenience, not for defensive use.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

JustinR wrote:A neck knife would be the quickest way to stab your eyes out in the event Hillary Clinton decided to do some twerking on national TV.
Your logic is unassailable.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Netpackrat wrote:
JustinR wrote:A neck knife would be the quickest way to stab your eyes out in the event Hillary Clinton decided to do some twerking on national TV.
Your logic is unassailable.
MIND BLEACH!!!! ARRRRGH!!!!!!!!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Never carried a neckknife, but when I was working with thr PD I had a couple small, but useful items squirreled away throughout my gear. One was a zytel fixed blade knife riding behind my trauma plate. Never used it, but it was dependable for sticking, weighed nothing, it was highly likely to be missed in a search, and was cheap enough to be free. I would roll with it again.
Goods2010

Post by Goods2010 »

Steamforger wrote:likely to be missed in a search
Why I did, and it was during training. At least with the inexperienced.