Your Blade Rotation

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Rich Jordan

Re: Your Blade Rotation

Post by Rich Jordan »

Kershaw Leek without serrations, and an early Leatherman Wave (purchased before he made sure I'd never buy another of his products). I've had the Leek since 2004 (its dated). Every few years when the operating spring breaks and I have to send for a new one,I have a spare (with partial serrations) that gets used until I can rebuild my primary one.

Before that I had a Spyderco Hunter (which I still have but it is relegated to home/desk duty)
Precision

Post by Precision »

I used to carry a Gerber (skeletonized) Paraframe. I averaged 2 a year due to destroying the tension and becoming dangerous.

On our trip out west, we drove past a giant Knife emporium in the middle of NOWHERE AZ. Dawn suggested, we stop in and get me a REAL knife. We left with a Benchmade Contego (810). We paid a little bit more than the cheapest internet price, but way less then retail and it makes a fun story.

I really like it.
benchmade-810bk-contego-black-1169-B.jpg
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

My EDC is a Kershaw Leek stainless. Been a good knife, use it at work on a daily basis. I keep a Mora clipper in my toolbox. I used to carry a Benchmade Griptilian, but after an incident among worker bees, knives were restricted; because I'm in maintenance I'm still allowed to carry one, but the blade must be no more than 3" long, hence the Leek.

Am I the only person here who dislikes multitools? I've seen more fasteners hashed up due to people using multitools on them... that, and pliers, when a wrench of some sort should have been used. I have an old Leatherman in a home toolbox, given to me as a gift a long time ago. I've never used it.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

My blade rotation is still pretty much restricted to EDC of my Victorinox Cadet with the Alox scales. If I ever lose it, I will immediately get another one.

I got a Kershaw 1556TI Cryo II Folding Knife for Christmas that I've been carrying occasionally. I've tried it in my right front, left front, and back left pockets. Seems to work best right front, though it gets in the way a bit. My Crossbreed holster interferes with it in the back right.
Darrell wrote:Am I the only person here who dislikes multitools? I've seen more fasteners hashed up due to people using multitools on them... that, and pliers, when a wrench of some sort should have been used. I have an old Leatherman in a home toolbox, given to me as a gift a long time ago. I've never used it.
I like multitools because when you don't have a tool box, they are handy. If you have a tool box, you shouldn't be using it. And no one should be mangling fasteners. What you really dislike is the dumbass who's using the wrong tool for the job and doing it badly at that. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
g-man

Post by g-man »

I've got a 1st gen Benchmade AFO that is my 'not at work' knife. If I'm not headed to the office, it lives clipped to my front left pocket. As in those cases I'm usually armed and wearing some sort of un-tucked shirt or jacket, I don't really have any visibility issues out in public. However, since it's an auto-folder with a 3.75" blade, the Pentagon Force Protection Agency frowns on bringing it to work. As an alternative, I keep the Victorinox Fieldmaster (or whatever it was called in Switzerland when my parents bought it for me there in the mid-'90's) at my desk. I really prefer the Benchmade (except for the serrated portion of the blade), but the little Swiss Army gets the job done around the office. I was much better at keeping my knife sharp when I was deployed, and haven't really sat down with a whetstone in some time. I should probably get after that at some point.

As far as multi-tools go, they're better than nothing, and usually have decent pliers, if used as pliers should be (and not in place of an appropriated wrench). I have a Winchester-branded multi-tool that is actually pretty decent, and grips more comfortably than any Leatherman or Gerber I've used. This of course makes it a bit more bulky, but as a 'in the truck tool bag' piece the bulk isn't noticed.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
randy

Post by randy »

g-man wrote: As an alternative, I keep the Victorinox Fieldmaster (or whatever it was called in Switzerland when my parents bought it for me there in the mid-'90's) at my desk.
That's pretty much what I've been carrying every day since since the 80's. It's what I took through survival school and it's gotten to the point where the only time I don't carry it is going through some security checkpoint (flying, Federal building, etc.) as CINCHOUSE had decreed that she depends on me having it available when we are out and about.
As far as multi-tools go, they're better than nothing, and usually have decent pliers,
Yeah. The first one I owned was a Pocket Leatherman that fit into the sleeve pocket of my flight suit where I could get to it even if hung up in a harness and couldn't get to any of my knives for some reason. It's been invaluable when out in the field on amateur radio events or similar situations when I don't have a tool kit handy. I rarely use anything but the pliers as the SAK covers most everything else. And I prefer to use it for cutting or stripping wires over a knife (and carry a set of nail clippers in the Leatherman pouch for stripping really small wires).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
deathrider1579

Post by deathrider1579 »

In my pocket I rotate between a Benchmade 583 Tanto, and a SOG Trident Tanto I like the tanto blade because it gives me 2 flat edges and 2 points to work with when cutting things.

I also carry a CRKT minimalist neck knife, simply one of the handiest little blades I've encountered and it weighs almost nothing. I've not encountered another neck knife that didn't fatigue me while wearing it all day.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I had a cheap folder that my dad got when he bought a sleeve of chewing tobacco cans. I lost that when it fell out of my pocket at a hockey game. So then I picked up a Browning Prism to do duty as a glorified letter opener. THAT fell out of my pocket on my way home from the gym one night.

Now I have a Kershaw Oso Sweet. This little bastard isn't going anywhere.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

You need different pockets. :geek:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

No, just a better clip on the knife.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds