Toadstickers

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Darrell

Toadstickers

Post by Darrell »

I ran across this Kershaw 1074 Camp Knife at Amazon, couldn't pass it up. Has an 18" blade:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BNPV1O0/ref ... _ST1_dp_i1

Should come in handy for cutting brush, kindling and taking on the undead if and when they show up. I've seen the price vary from $37 or so to $44. The link above presently shows it going for $42.52 with free shipping. It has a nice heft, but is not heavy. Comes with a nice sheath too. Has a nice edge right from the factory.
Last edited by Darrell on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
rightisright

Re: Toadsticker

Post by rightisright »

Interesting. Just yesterday I was out clearing some small branches from the line-of-sight coming out of my driveway. My trusty Ka-Bar Kukri http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-2-1249-9-K ... -bar+kukri worked rather well.

I could have used a battery saw-zall or my Echo 16" chainsaw. But I thought the glorious vision of a large bald man smoking a fat stogie and wielding a small sword would go over better in suburban NJ ;-)
Greg

Post by Greg »

rightisright wrote:Interesting. Just yesterday I was out clearing some small branches from the line-of-sight coming out of my driveway. My trusty Ka-Bar Kukri http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-2-1249-9-K ... -bar+kukri worked rather well.

I could have used a battery saw-zall or my Echo 16" chainsaw. But I thought the glorious vision of a large bald man smoking a fat stogie and wielding a small sword would go over better in suburban NJ ;-)
Hehehehe. I know the very day my khuk showed up in the mail I was out there hacking away, chopping off pine branches. It lost a little bit of the effect, because where I was only one neighbor can see me and we're pretty friendly he already knows I'm crazy but harmless. :)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

It is rather satisfying to hack up plants with a large blade, isn't it?

I would say the sight makes my neighbors think I am crazy, but I am pretty sure they have figured out I am not quite normal by now.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

rightisright wrote:Interesting. Just yesterday I was out clearing some small branches from the line-of-sight coming out of my driveway. My trusty Ka-Bar Kukri http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-2-1249-9-K ... -bar+kukri worked rather well.

It would have been even better if you were wearing a kilt.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Greg wrote:Hehehehe. I know the very day my khuk showed up in the mail I was out there hacking away, chopping off pine branches. It lost a little bit of the effect, because where I was only one neighbor can see me and we're pretty friendly he already knows I'm crazy but harmless. :)
There's your problem right there! You've taught him that you're harmless. I always want my neighbors to believe that I'm rather docile, but potentially lethal. I work hard at maintaining that image.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

MarkD wrote:

It would have been even better if you were wearing a kilt.

The glare from my pasty legs would have surely caused a pile-up.
Greg

Post by Greg »

PawPaw wrote:
Greg wrote:Hehehehe. I know the very day my khuk showed up in the mail I was out there hacking away, chopping off pine branches. It lost a little bit of the effect, because where I was only one neighbor can see me and we're pretty friendly he already knows I'm crazy but harmless. :)
There's your problem right there! You've taught him that you're harmless. I always want my neighbors to believe that I'm rather docile, but potentially lethal. I work hard at maintaining that image.
Depends on the neighbor. This one fellow is very nice, chatty, and a fine upstanding local businessman.

With some other neighbors, your approach is better. But the last neighbors like that we had (a nurse, nice enough lady but her deadbeat loser brother lived with her, and her choices in boyfriends weren't much better) moved away, and good riddance.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I'm changing the thread title to plural, because I have more to show. Here are a few pics of my latest metalworking project. I've had this blade, the basic shape, floating around in my toolbox for six or seven years. I decided to finish it, so here you go. The scales are 1/4" aluminum (we're very picked over on materials, hence the Al). I fit the scales to the blade, and did all shaping on a 12" disc sander, plus a 1" belt sander, with a lot of handfiling and sanding to boot. I used steel wool to polish it, though some work remains to be done. The blade is 4 1/2" along its midline, overall length is about 8 1/2". The grip fits my hand very well--the idea is that the pad of the thumb rests in the top curve just behind the blade, with the heel of the grip fitting into the crease of the palm. Though the aluminum is rather slick, it is very secure in my hand.

When I took pics early this morning, the sun really brought out every remaining blemish. It looks much better in person. ;)
kershawandmyblade 009sm.jpg
kershawandmyblade 013sm.jpg
kershawandmyblade 015sm.jpg
kershawandmyblade 017sm.jpg
I did a quick and dirty hardening using a torch and a water quench, then tempering to color. I sharpened the edge using the new Work Sharp mentioned in another thread. I'm rather pleased with how it turned out, I suppose I'd give it a B for grade.

I also took a few pics of the new Kershaw machete:
kershawandmyblade 001sm.jpg
kershawandmyblade 004sm.jpg
kershawandmyblade 006sm.jpg
I just received a new Mora as well, I'll try to get pics of it too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Aglifter

Re: Toadstickers

Post by Aglifter »

That Kershaw has a very familiar shape...

Isn't in some manner of old sword shape... Something related to a falcon...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto