Bows?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
AndytheAxe

Bows?

Post by AndytheAxe »

I hope this is the right part of the forum, my girlfriend has started to like archery and I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good starter bow for me to get her. Her draw weight is probably 20-25 she has trouble with the 27# I lend her. I'm looking for a price range of $80-120 for the bow since I also need to get fingerguard/arrows/etc.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
Yogimus

Re: Bows?

Post by Yogimus »

I am also interested in this.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Get a bow trainer and have her practice with that to build up muscles in the arms and back...Pushups also work.

Only small children should use anything in the 20#, 25# range as they and anyone else will quickly outgrow that bow in weeks...The minimum traditional bow should be in the 35# range and a compound in the 55/65# range whereas the former will be okay for target shooting but illegal for big game hunting in most states while the latter is just a bit slower then new tech split limb design.

Look online--Ebay, Craig's, archery shops--for used old technology compound bows or older traditional bows...You can pick up great bows for under $50 and many coming with full kits as well...Want new then try the Samik Sage for under $200 that features interchangeable limbs in both length and power.

The longer the limbs the smoother the draw and release.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

She's 5"2, about 100 lbs ish I haven't asked but she's petite. Right handed not sure about arm length. In the pic below she's using a 27# old Bear brand I forget the exact model. She could only get the string maybe 15% farther than she has it in the pic.

I know some of the problem is posture and I've been trying to help her with that. She works out but it's mostly yoga and running not much upper body. I'm looking for something for her for starter/casual use, I don't know if she wants to really get into it yet. I have some nicer ones in the 35-55 range she could use if she gets into the sport and stronger but she's not strong enough for them yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

I want to get her something that she can bring next time we go out that she'll have fun with and not struggle with trying to draw it and aim without struggling. I know she wants to try again. A local state park and former quarry has a nice archery trail that was put in as an Eagle Project a while ago. The ones Aesop linked to look interesting.
Last edited by AndytheAxe on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

Mathews Genesis Pro.
http://mathewsinc.com/product/genesis-pro/

This is a slightly upscaled version of the the bow used by the 4-H shooting sports (Genesis) and the Archery in Schools program.

Buy a used one on E-bay. If she outgrows it you can always sell it on e-bay for what you have into it.

Also determine her eye dominance. If she is left eye dominant she really needs to learn how to shoot a bow left handed.
Nicodemus

Post by Nicodemus »

Thx for the pic I can help with the posture with some basic body mechanics.

Have her practice this stance:

Stand relaxed with her feet shoulder width apart.

Take a short step forward with the lead hand side and a short step back with the draw hand side.

Square the body strait ahead like a boxers stance.

Dig with the rear toe and the front toe to push the center of the body forward as if throwing a lead hand punch.

Use this motion to push the bow forward, getting her body into extending the bow.

Instead of holding the bow out and trying to pull the string back hold the string to the body and push the bow forward from the legs.

Keep the center of the chest centered between the legs or slightly forward, like a proper shooting stance.

This will help her use her body from her feet to her torso to draw the bow rather than arm strength.