Japanese Knife and Sword Makers

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
308Mike

Japanese Knife and Sword Makers

Post by 308Mike »

As I've learned more about Japanese blades, I've become very interested in them - particularly after listening to the book The 47th Samurai by Stephen Hunter, which goes into great detail about the swords, and is not the normal shoot-em-up Bob Lee Swagger tale. No guns in this book (or audio CDs).

When I was at Barnes and Noble a week ago, I glanced through a blade book and was intrigued by a maker who specializes in Japanese blades and, IIRC, is in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, I neglected to get his information and I haven't been able to find him on the web.

SeekHer, do you have specific listings for Japanese blade manufacturers?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Mike OTDP

Re: Japanese Knife and Sword Makers

Post by Mike OTDP »

Try www.swordforum.com - they have a good database on their boards. Nice for-sale section, too.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Angelswords in TX makes some nice blades in price ranges from doable to ludicrous. I received a Bright Knight 2 handed longsword as a graduation present from an uncle about 6 years ago. It's a well made blade that I'm confident could do anything I asked of it. I'm quite pleased with it.
Factfind

Post by Factfind »

Try Scott Slobodian if you want the real deal.

http://www.slobodianswords.com/
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Factfind wrote:Try Scott Slobodian if you want the real deal.

http://www.slobodianswords.com/
A fair bit too expensive right now, but I also found HandmadeSword.com, and although they have categories going over $10,000 (here's one for $18,000), the vast majority of their Katanas are under $400.00.

Here's their Press Release from their Grand Opening of their California store this year in February.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
jeremysa1

Post by jeremysa1 »

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com has pretty extensive reviews (including hands-on cutting tests on video) of functional, battle-ready swords in the sub-$300 range. Includes a section on japanese swords.

Does a good job explaining the difference between wallhangers (aka Sword Like Objects) and swords you can hit things without the sword breaking.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

308Mike wrote:As I've learned more about Japanese blades, I've become very interested in them - particularly after listening to the book The 47th Samurai by Stephen Hunter, which goes into great detail about the swords, and is not the normal shoot-em-up Bob Lee Swagger tale. No guns in this book (or audio CDs).

I will have to get it so my collection will be complete...

SeekHer, do you have specific listings for Japanese blade manufacturers?
I created a list at Sword Makers - Custom

I will be adding a Battle blade thread as well as an armour and chain mail thread…

Adding to the Primitive Knives and creating a Folding knife, a fixed blade knife and an art knife thread…Custom knife dealers and a separate general/Internet dealers threads as well…

I should point out that I consider swords to be in four categories:

Antiques - Collector or historical value only - displayed not played with...Have lots of these!
Custom Blades - True cutting blades and damn expensive...I do have some of these!
Battle Blades - Replicas for SCA or stage fencing - less expensive but sharpened...I mostly buy these!
Eye Candy/Wall Hangers - Wouldn't cut their way out of a wet paper bag or would shatter at the first parry...I don’t have any and won't buy them!

I can't put a price on them as too many factors come into play--period represented--geographic location--quality of steel--makers name, etc. but normally anything below $150.00 is eye candy, under $600.00 is a battle blade and over $1,000.00 is a custom blade...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!