First shot of my latest creation.

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Bullspit

First shot of my latest creation.

Post by Bullspit »

Please forgive the fuzzy grainy dark picture. It is dark here and I don't have a light box.

Steel is 50100-B also known as 0170-6 by knife makers. It is basically an "improved" 1095. Scales are desert ironwood. They have a lot more figure than shown in this poor picture.

The knife is heavily influenced by Bark River Knife and Tool's Canadian Special. I created it as a user, so I didn't mirror polish it. You can see a few lines from the sharpening/finishing process. The edge is a half height convex to sharp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
Darrell

Re: First shot of my latest creation.

Post by Darrell »

I think that is nicely done.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
bubblewhip

Post by bubblewhip »

CByrneIV wrote:
Bullspit wrote:
Steel is 50100-B also known as 0170-6 by knife makers. It is basically an "improved" 1095.
It's also what Cold Steel called "Carbon V" at one point ("Carbon V" has changed over time). Very good knife steel.
It was really Camillus steel and knife back before they shut down. Camilus made the knives for Cold Steel, and after they shut down Cold Steel had to switch to SK-5. Hence that explains why the older Cold Steel's were made in USA and suddenly stopped.

Kabar is still using it under the name 1095 Cro-van

Sorry, my knife nerdery had to come out there for a second.

Really cool knife, It looks really ergonomic and the scales look excellent.
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Bullspit wrote:Please forgive the fuzzy grainy dark picture. It is dark here and I don't have a light box.

Steel is 50100-B also known as 0170-6 by knife makers. It is basically an "improved" 1095. Scales are desert ironwood. They have a lot more figure than shown in this poor picture.

The knife is heavily influenced by Bark River Knife and Tool's Canadian Special. I created it as a user, so I didn't mirror polish it. You can see a few lines from the sharpening/finishing process. The edge is a half height convex to sharp.
That is a class act. Bravo.

Chris - O-1 is a forgiving steel to work with, within it's limits. I used it to make machining tools from O-1 long before I got into knives.
It moves OK under the hammer so you won't wear yourself out too much flattening it. You will still expend a lot of energy getting round bar into a flat billet.
Leave at least 3mm on the edge before you quench so it doesn't crack. You probably want to normalise a couple of times first.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

The blank started life as a Camillus OVB Fisk Bowie blank. A bunch of these came on the market after Camillus went out of business and I picked up some.

I've made one previously that I had professionally heat treated but I heat treated this one myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

CByrneIV wrote:Nice... what did you start with as a blank?

I just picked up a nice rod of 1" O1 for a couple of projects.

I snagged 36" of it, and I'm thinking about taking about 4" of that and doing a bit of forging. I haven't forged anything since 2003, and I'm desperately out of practice.

The nice thing about a rod is that you can forge in an integral bolster if you like.
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

CByrneIV wrote: (I'm making a couple custom large diameter taps).
That's the sport of kings - at least it's easier than making small diameter taps. But not much :D

I have a crapload of W-2 here just waiting to be used, it cost me $$$ but it's a good honest steel which is suitable for differential hardening.
Do my dog house song
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

i covet. well done lad, well done.

'nuff said.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

CByrneIV wrote: That's actually part of the point. I want to make a folded billet. I haven't done one since... 1996 maybe?

But I have no problem singlehanding a 4.4lber without getting overtired if the billet will take it. Big arms, big shoulders.
The welding process doesn't take much effort. It looks pretty dramatic but thats mostly from the flux spraying out.
Your biggest problem is that low carbon steels weld at temperatures which are close to burning high carbon steels - there is a small window for you to work in. It is VERY easy to screw it up.

Another tip that you may or may not be aware of is regarding blacksmiths tongs. Fuck those things, just weld some rebar to the piece you are working on.
Do my dog house song
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

How much force is needed with that weight? I would think some kind of air-hammer would make sense.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto