The Weirdness of the Chinese Rope Dart

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
toad

The Weirdness of the Chinese Rope Dart

Post by toad »

Perhaps you have seen Jet Li using a fire hose to fight with. His moves duplicate what is called the Rope Dart techniques.
Those who apply themselves to master the rope dart have something of a reputation for weirdness. Perhaps because it takes so much practice or perhaps it requires an ability to withstand the comments of your buddies about the failed moves in practice, Tiger gives rope burn to crotch, leopard completely entangles itself and face plants, monkey impales itself in back of head and etc. It did make for an effective concealed weapon in ye ancient days in China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aggOfsBu ... r_embedded

Some the techniques can be used for shorter pieces of chain or rope.
Cybrludite

Re: The Weirdness of the Chinese Rope Dart

Post by Cybrludite »

Combining the worst aspects of boomerangs and lawn darts in one handy package! :lol:
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Jackie Chan used a rope and a horseshoe the same way in Shanghai Noon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8z5BXbFLCE

I'm not sure of using it the way in video is a very practical way, but you could use it to fling the heavy object at someone and then use the rope to be able to retrieve it to fling it again.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
toad

Post by toad »

Thanks for the Shanghai Noon link:
Ayup, Jakie Chan is using the rope dart techniques. The Chinese have a variation on the rope dart that uses a blunt dart instead of a pointed one. There are forms that are for more than two attackers.
One draw back to rope dart is that you have to be in fairly decent shape and well coordinated to do it. An old fart might be able to use it but he would have to be a pretty vigorous old fart.
I vaguely remember that their are some techniques to use if you don't want to pig stick you attacker but to trip him up, put him on the ground and then kick the snot out him.
toad

Post by toad »

Thanks for the Shanghai Noon link:
Ayup, Jakie Chan is using the rope dart techniques. The Chinese have a variation on the rope dart that uses a blunt dart instead of a pointed one. There are forms that are for more than two attackers.
One draw back to rope dart is that you have to be in fairly decent shape and well coordinated to do it. An old fart might be able to use it but he would have to be a pretty vigorous old fart. It was never for me. Especially after I saw a nube whack himself with nunchucks. I like to watch rope darters but I never wanted to try it.
I vaguely remember that their are some techniques to use if you don't want to pig stick you attacker but to trip him up, put him on the ground and then kick the snot out him.
Erik

Post by Erik »

toad wrote:The Chinese have a variation on the rope dart that uses a blunt dart instead of a pointed one.
It's called meteor hammer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhW67MBO8M8

If i had to use either, I would use it as a sling. Hold it with maybe 1.5ft of rope in my strong hand, and the rest of the rope in my weak hand, wind it up with one or two spins and let it go in an underhand pitch. Then pull it back with my weak hand and do it again. And if the other guy rushed me, I'd use it as a slung to try and pummel the guy.
It wouldn't be as pretty to look at, but at least I wouldn't knock myself out. 8-)
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Law Dog discusses a similar technique in one of my favorite posts:
For the purposes of this exercise, we have Abdul the Moderately Rabid standing in front of the door to an airliner cock-pit at the front end of a plane, box-cutter firmly in paw.

Take the dress belt and thread the tongue through the buckle. Place this loop around your dominant wrist.

Firmly tie the padlock to the tongue end of the belt.

At this time, you should have one end of the belt firmly looped around your dominant wrist and -- depending on your figure -- a padlock tied to the other end of a 16 to 30 inch strap.

Take the padlock into your dominant hand. If you wish, you may tuck the belt loosely in your sleeve, or hide it behind your arm. Make sure that it may flow freely, however.

Now, the most difficult part of the exercise: get up from your seat and advance upon Abdullah. Focus your gaze upon the bridge of his nose.

When you get to the distance where you may reach out and almost touch his boxcutter with your off-hand, I want you to haul off and fast-pitch the padlock into his schnozz. Under-hand, over-hand, side-arm, it doesn't matter. Throw that padlock through his snout.

Now, Abdullah is at that location that we refer to as 'The Hurt Locker'. He can block the hurtling padlock with an arm, but that's going to really suck; he can block it with his face -- which is pretty much what we're after -- or he can duck.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I liked Gogo Yubari's take on the technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9iIKn1Bl6c

8-)
Eppur si muove--Galileo
toad

Post by toad »

Then there is the Japanese Manriki Gusari. It is a shorter chain approximately two feet in length with blunt weights at both ends. It was popular with "constables" and guards because it gave them a secondary weapon that was less than lethal option to deal with people. Though you had the option of cracking a skull with one. I couldn't find a good movie showing it, my brain power is at a low ebb and search fu is weak. While not as difficult to use as the longer flex weapons, practice should be done with a large or double up soft rope. You can still ding yourself pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_WDYtlUQsQ

I ah... new someone who utilized a spare web belt with a couple of d cell batteries in the end of it.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Law Dog discusses a similar technique in one of my favorite posts:
Yep. A bandanna tied into a loop with a padlock on one end is a favorite weapon of the Sons of Silence. Nasty, and terribly effective.