Please explain the how of it

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Yogimus

Re: Please explain the how of it

Post by Yogimus »

CByrneIV wrote:
randy wrote:
Yogimus wrote:... crush the squishies.
In the Targeting community the technical term was "soft pudgies".
Or sometimes "fluffy bunnies"
"civilians"
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

CByrneIV wrote:
randy wrote:
Yogimus wrote:... crush the squishies.
In the Targeting community the technical term was "soft pudgies".
Or sometimes "fluffy bunnies"
Isn't Infantry referred to as "Crunchies" by Armor guys?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Erik

Post by Erik »

D5CAV wrote:I'm at a loss to find any example of a successful horse cavalry charge against trained troops. The only (relatively) recent examples were both spectacularly unsuccessful: The suicidal charge of the British lancers against the Russians during the Crimean War, and the suicidal charge of the Polish lancers against the Germans in WW2.
Do you have a source for the Polish cavalry charge against German tanks in WW2? I've always thought that story was a bit hard to believe, and when I checked Wikipedia it says that story is a myth. The Polish cavalry usually fought dismounted. The incident that caused it was when the Polish cavalry actually charged German infantry, and were actually successful. The Germans then came back to the battlefield later, when their tanks had arrived, and showed the reporters horses and cavalry next to the tanks, giving them a great story to be used by German propaganda.

I know Wikipedia isn't to be considered absolute authority, but I have never actually seen any real proof of a cavalry charge against tanks, except stories being told that it happened. So it would be interesting to have a source for it.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

There actually were several successful mounted charges in WW2, but mostly on camelback and in africa, and against supply lines and undefended air bases. Unfortunately I can not cite my source, other than "The history channel, when they were on a hitler kick"
DavidB

Post by DavidB »