Tanto WIP

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Highspeed

Re: Tanto WIP

Post by Highspeed »

First Shirt wrote:Get a rough idea of shipping costs, and let me know what you need (type as well as amount), since my SIL makes custom knives for a living (and must be doing pretty well, he's got a six-month backlog), and he probably has some of what you need, or can get it cheap, if we can beat the local price (cost+shipping), we gotcha covered!
Cheers bro !
I'll try and figure out the shipping cost somehow, that's the main issue. There is a knifemaking supplier in Germany who has some of the steels I'd like to use but they insist on me buying them by weight ( do you know how much a 6mm x 30mm x 500mm bar of 5160 weighs ? no ? me neither :D ) and I just refuse to deal with anyone who makes purchasing that difficult. No wonder my Dad spent his formative years firing 155mm shells at them :lol:
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Aglifter wrote:Hmm... So much for the days of "Toledo Steel" I suppose.

What if you stopped thinking "knife steel", and started thinking "industrial steel"?
That actually was my first option, the knife supply folks are obviously just buying from industrial sources and adding their own markup to the price ( which I don't blame them for one bit, capitalism is good ;) )
But I drew a blank, it's hard to search for stuff here because the internet really hasn't caught on in the same way as in most other countries.

Ironically the nearest town to me is a major furniture making centre and it is possible to buy any kind of woodworking tools you can imagine ( assuming you can afford them, a reasonable sized floor standing belt sander will set you back about $5k :o )

Maybe I should make wooden knives :D
Do my dog house song
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Highspeed wrote: ( do you know how much a 6mm x 30mm x 500mm bar of 5160 weighs ? no ? me neither :D
7.85 g/CC => 706.5 g, I believe.

Handy Link
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

What a useful link, cheers ;)

I'll be getting onto your 'letter opener' soon BTW but I'll email you with some design thoughts about that....
Do my dog house song
Precision

Post by Precision »

Highspeed wrote: do you know how much a 6mm x 30mm x 500mm bar of 5160 weighs ? no ? me neither :D )
I have a really bad cold so my brain is a bit fuzzy but I think this will help.

http://www.admiralsteel.com/pdf/catalog.pdf

from this 6mm is roughly .250 inch, 1 1/4 inch is roughly 30 mm, and a foot of that weighs in at about 1.05 lbs

so your stock should be roughly 1.75 lbs or .78 kilos

now go and order from the Germans. :lol:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Precision wrote:
now go and order from the Germans. :lol:
I think they bloody well owe me some steel, my old man spent from June of 44 to May of 45 flinging 92lbs of the stuff at them with each shot :D
Do my dog house song
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Aglifter beat me to the conversion.

Have you considered using old circular saw blades? My brother in law made me a knife out of a circular saw blade years ago, and it's a dandy.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Rough weights of common engineering metals:
Steel: .28 lbs/CI
Aluminum: .1lb/CI
Brass: .32lb CI

I can tell you from personal experience that selling by the pound is pretty standard - I know Davidson(before they went under) and Admiral did it that way, for phone quotes.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

hmmmm, wonder if this local sourcing problem suggests an opportunity for a local artisan foundry?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

charcoal, ore, flux... Voila! Smelter.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story