Knife suggestion and a pukko (puuko?) vendor

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Rich Jordan

Knife suggestion and a pukko (puuko?) vendor

Post by Rich Jordan »

A friend is going to Alaska for a wilderness camp/hike (with a guide) this coming spring. They're putting together their kit, and the guide wants them to have a camp/utility knife (each) in the 4" blade range.

Most of what I'm familiar with for that task (as described) is 5.5 - 7".

Intended usage would be opening food packages, smoothing branches (trimming off smaller branches/twigs), possibly stripping bark, and 'whatever else' comes up. Its not a hunting expedition so no skinning or cleaning expected (and if there was it would be the guide's to do) but they might be doing ersatz shelter constructon too.

Also since a Pukko (Puuko?) knife has come up before here and elsewhere with a sterling rep for utility, any recommendations for a vendor? The last place I bought one 10 years ago no longer carries them.

Whichever ones they narrow the choice down to (or I aim them at) will still get referred to the guide just to be safe. I don't want them feeling bad about the purchase if the guide thinks their cold steel camp knife (or whatever) is a POS even if its really adequate.

Trying to keep the budget under $100 apiece if possible. Lower better since it leaves more for the other necessities.
rightisright

Re: Knife suggestion and a pukko (puuko?) vendor

Post by rightisright »

No need to spend anywhere near $100.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Swedish-Mil-M ... 092&sr=8-2

I have two of these. One is on permanent kitchen duty as a paring/small utility knife. The other I keep in my Jeep. Razor sharp out of the package and it's very easy to maintain the edge.

One caveat. It isn't stainless.

If that is important, I can't personally recommend these because I've never held one, but they get great reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Mora-Sweden-Craft ... 092&sr=8-3
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

If their guide is knowledgeable and they show up with a Mora knife (like suggested above) he/she will nod approvingly and suspect that your friends know what they are doing.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
Erik

Post by Erik »

A Mora will never fail you. As an all around utility knife, it's pretty much ideal.
Personally I dont like the stainless blades, I prefer the carbon or laminated blades. I think that once you loose the edge on the stainless it's very hard to get it back, but not so with the other blades.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I think that once you loose the edge on the stainless it's very hard to get it back, but not so with the other blades.
I can't speak for the stainless. But the carbon blades on mine are very easy to sharpen. I'm mediocore w. whetstones. I usually sharpen my knives with an electric Chefs Choice 120 (which I love). But the Scandinavian grind on the Moras make hand sharpening very easy. Which is a bonus when you are in the field and not supremely skilled w. a stone.
Bullspit

Post by Bullspit »

The only complaint I have ever heard about a Mora is that the blade is thin. While it is true that the blades are thinner than is the current fashion, a knife really isn't a pry bar!

As for sharpening, I have become a fan of convex edges. A leather strop with some compound keeps the edge sharp with just a few strokes every time you use it. Rarely is a full sharpening in order.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Buck Folding Hunter 110 or equivalent. If that's not good enough for the guide, they are some sort of snob and/or rambo wannabe type. There's very little that you need a "camp" knife for, that a regular pocket knife will not handle. In Alaska or anywhere else.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

Cold Steel makes the Roach Belly from 4116 Krupp stainless, which holds an edge better than 420 or 440 S/S.
EDT has one, that I gave her as a general purpose sheath knife, and she reports that her boyfriend borrowed it a few weeks ago to skin and dress a deer. She said he was favorably impressed with it.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

That's a nifty looking knife, Termite. I just ordered one from Amazon for $12 and change. I'm going to compare it to my Moras.

P.S. Who is EDT? Elder Daughter the Third? :-)
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Thanks all.

NPR, I expect they'll be getting fixed blades based on the guide's recommendation. Maybe its just because they're simpler; I haven't spoken with the guide, just my friend. I have a couple of older 110s though and I do like them a lot.

You don't need the super uber wunder pal-machete-kukri-mongo hacker for camping in Alaska? Damn... that was going to be my excuse for buying one ;)