Work Sharp Knife Sharpener

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
blackeagle603

Work Sharp Knife Sharpener

Post by blackeagle603 »

The BTOH delivered this unit yesterday. I just finished giving it a work out for the first time. Initial impression? Hmm... Yeah. Yeah, fine. Glad I sprung for it.

In less than 30 minutes I unwrapped it, went through our hodge podge of kitchen drawer knives, a couple scissors 3 or 4 lock blades and the 5" Case fixed hunting blade my dad gave me for Xmas when I was a teen. While I have an appreciation for a good blade and a good edge I'm not a hardcore knife guy like many of you here. Though a home forge and knife making projects are on my bucket list. I've spent a bit of time in offshore plants that happened to be making knifes and got a good look at high volume hand sharpening op's with belt sanders. I like convex grind a belt gives.

In any case, I don't know what you all would think of the edge it gives. However, I'm very pleased with the speed, consistency and quality of edge it gives.

On average better by far than I can do with my limited skills with a stone. That and I did ~20 edges in the time I'd have gotten one edge with a stone.

Their shop machines really look interesting. I'd love to give either one of those a run for the money. I've got a lot of edges in the shop (chisels and such) that would pay for one those units in no time.

Tomorrow I'll get to my kindling axe and a couple shop tools and see how this unit does with those.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
308Mike

Re: Work Sharp Knife Sharpener

Post by 308Mike »

That appears to be some kind of miniature belt sander/sharpener, and as such is probably a damned-good sharpener, especially for things like machetes, scissors, lopers, brush-shears, pruners, etc., etc. - and makes me wonder if they have a separate belt for sharpening ceramic blades needing diamond grit/stone/belt to sharpen.

Otherwise, let me know when you're home as I have a TON of yard tools which need sharpening!! LOL!! J/K!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Oh man. You have NO idea how many yard tools I have around here. I try keeping up with sharpening with my 6" bench grinder or 4" hand held angle grinder. I dare say I'm pretty skilled sharpening that stuff. Second nature -- got the knack. Got started on Dad's 8" handcrank bench grinder in kindergarten or 1st grade. Love that siren song that put out as you wound it up. Music to my ears. Lots of edges to keep up on as a kid growing up in the country with property, pruning a small family canning orchard, clearing -- always fighting the encroaching Western WA jungle, firewood, 1/4 acre veggie garden, et al.

Suffice to say I'm happy as a clam and (probably over) confident with a bench grinder and handle held angle grinder for outdoor tools. Ergo, it's notable that their benchtop metalworking sharpener demo stopped me cold. It's really looking good to me. Fast and yet cool grind operation. I like the cool edge and not having to maintain/restore temper.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

...oh and Mike, edit to add:

You know the way to my place. You want to give this unit it a try -- anytime.

arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Looks neat, let us know how the belts hold up.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

I saw one for the first time the other day and while I like the concept I wish it came with a stationary, maybe a C-clap, stand for it with an adjustable guide to rest the blade against.

I’m scared holding it free hand will really ruin the edge on some of my finer kitchen, especially the Japanese style knives let alone my custom hunting knives.

I think it would be ideal for chopping and hacking tools, scissors and such where a >18° bevel is required—less chance for error.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Tried it on my camp axe I regularly use for firewood. Nice edge, fast. The little belts are holding up well after the workout I gave them. Still, their benchtop 2000 model is looking good (better) to me for outdoor tools. The discs should last long time and are std diameters available at my toy store (aka Home Depot).