Two machete-style options: which one?

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
308Mike

Re: Two machete-style options: which one?

Post by 308Mike »

Aglifter wrote:My preferred machete... Very effective, but a bit terrifying to the operator...
That's just a *little* bit more expensive than the hand tools we've been talking about. :shock: :o :roll: :roll:
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Got my Ka-Bar Kukri yesterday. So far, the only thing I don't like is the belt-loop, which is a fixed loop. You can't unsnap it and thread it over your belt, instead you have to thread a belt through the loop. I'll probably take it over to a local leathersmith down by the nearby indoor range to see about having the rivets removed and snap(s) put on.

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

If you're going to the leathersmith have him make your belt loop with a swivel so that it will swing instead of being rigid...This allows you to move the sheath when having to sit or squat without it rubbing the actual loop and eroding it away but where it really shines is when having to return the blade to your sheath--instead of contorting your body by twisting and bringing your arm way up so that you can get the blade into the sheath mouth, you just slightly turn and lift the sheath and insert.

I had it done here to a couple of sheaths and the saddlemaker charged me $5 and $7 (heavier leather and he had to add some extra to the back of the loop) to convert them.

Basically they slice the loop off near near the sheath and insert this ball bearing swivel that has these little leather(?) tabs, one at the each end, and then they sew the top and bottom portions of the loop back together with the tab between.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

I've been happy with my Cold Steel Kukri. It lives in the back seat of my truck. Last time I used it was to flatten a log that hung out over the tailgate and the topper window wouldn't close down all the way. A little slice 'n dice and I was good to go with the window all the way down.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

McClarkus wrote:I've been happy with my Cold Steel Kukri. It lives in the back seat of my truck. Last time I used it was to flatten a log that hung out over the tailgate and the topper window wouldn't close down all the way. A little slice 'n dice and I was good to go with the window all the way down.
That's all good news, and I haven't had a chance to use it, but will likely do some confined-space brush chopping tomorrow. What I'm not appreciating is having to thread if over my belt, instead of just being able to thread it under my existing belt and snap the belt-cover/loop closed. Personally, I think it's a VERY POOR marketing decision to save a few cents rather than make more sales or better recommendations on something as cheap as a snap or two.

McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

True - the sheath is not the best but the blade and handle are good for me at least.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

McClarkus wrote:True - the sheath is not the best but the blade and handle are good for me at least.
My wife came in today and asked me if I wanted to try out my new toy in the back yard - it seems our CATNIP bushes have gotten too far outta' control and she wanted them cut back. I needed something with more precision than a large chopping blade, so we opted for using scissors to cut back the catnip. Right now, I'm drying about a pound of catnip leaves in the oven (set at about 125 degrees to make them dry out faster). Our cats just LOVE the fresh ground catnip!! We've gone outside to find the neighbor's cat just laying among the branches and leaves of our catnip plants. We've got PLENTY to feed all the neighbors cats too!! I just got done sprinkling the fireplace ash among all the plants and all over the yard - they LOVE all that potassium and other chemicals after a fire. GREAT fertilizer!

FlintlockTom, BE, and any other San Diego locals, if you want some fresh, locally grown catnip for your kitties, just let me know!! I'll get you a two-finger 1/2 lid of catnip to take home - and don't worry, it'll CERTAINLY smell of catnip too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: