Looking for a "desk Dagger" - let me know if you see a Swiss

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Aglifter

Looking for a "desk Dagger" - let me know if you see a Swiss

Post by Aglifter »

Dress dagger (I think its called an M43).

Not looking to spend a huge amount of money, but looking for something to keep on my desk, which won't get lost too easily. (I may end up w a case desk knife, but my desk doesn't have drawers, so...)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Darrell

Re: Looking for a "desk Dagger" - let me know if you see a S

Post by Darrell »

A letter opener? Maybe one of those Fairbairn Sykes daggers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbairn- ... ting_Knife
Eppur si muove--Galileo
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Aglifter wrote:Dress dagger (I think its called an M43).

Not looking to spend a huge amount of money, but looking for something to keep on my desk, which won't get lost too easily. (I may end up w a case desk knife, but my desk doesn't have drawers, so...)
So, screw a sheath under your desk, next to your strong-hand leg, so you can grab it in a hurry - if necessary. You might want to put a small flashlight under there as well in case the power goes out. That way you know it's ALWAYS there ('cause no one else knows it's there).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I was trying to find a Fairbairn Sykes when I came across the Swiss Dress dagger - I only seemed to be able to find ChiCom trash, or custom Fairbarin Sykes.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

You might want to be careful about those kinds of knives, I hear they have a tendency to break when torqued during use (usually inadvertently when the target moves or something similar), since their blade is quite thin, designed for stabbing.

Personally, I prefer a more utilitarian blade, something a little more robust in these times than something designed to take out sentries quietly (cover their mouth, a stab to the kidney, then cut their throat - or use a garrote made of piano wire or steel guitar string). Something more along the lines of a K-Bar, or a Military Classic, or something like the Recon Scout, or even their Leatherneck knife. They have some GREAT products!! And I know SOG does too, however, unless I had a SPECIFIC NEED for a stabbing tool, I prefer something more like Cold Steel's Recon Scout in SK-5 High Carbon steel, at a fraction of the price of the SAN MAI III steel ($150 vs. $315 for the SAN MAI III).

After all, you can use the utility blade design for MANY MORE functions than the Fairbain Sykes skinny little blade.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Amazon has a Sheffield Fairbairn Sykes dagger, $90:

http://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-Dagger- ... B005EN9SMY

I have one I bought from some soldiers aid group or such some years ago, I don't remember their name. Seems like a good quality knife.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I don't plan on it dealing w. anything more dangerous than cream bills... :mrgreen: Anyone familiar w. Tops knives? They make a 7" tanto which looks like it might work...

SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Try:
Gung Ho Knives--good knives and prices

Sheffield Knives

NZ F/S Knives -- great company, fabulous knives but bloody expensive

Scorpion Knives -- damn good prices for quality items
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Thanks - I'm debating about going w. a "Wasp" Scorpion model... I think that might, esp. if I let the brass tarnish, be easier to keep in an office.

+1 on those NZ versions...

Or, pay double the price/wait 5 years for a Randall Model 2 "letter opener"... Which is what I really want...

SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

There are a couple dozen Randall Knife Dealers out there that will have order from Randall in usually six months instead of five years but you have to want what they ordered--you wanted leather washer handle they ordered micarta, 6" blade and they order a 5" or a 7", that sort of thing

They are more expensive, usually 30% to 50% more, but you can have one overnight--as long as they have one in stock.

Dealers that I'm aware of and am probably missing a great number are:
*A.G. Russell Knives
Blue Star Knives
Custom Grips & Knives
Fort Henry Custom Knives -- just ordered from them--great service people.
Jay's Knives
*Kevin's Fine Outdoor Gear
Michigan Knives
*Miles Welze
Nifeboy.com -- he's got an older Nbr 2-8 for $595 as well as a Nbr. 24-5 Guardian for $575 --New w/5 yr wait are $425 and $ 405 respectively the way they are set up.
*Plaza Cutlery
**Steel Addiction
You Want It 2 -- They have a Nbr 2-5 that is a beauty with ivoryite and a scallop crown $695, Nbr 24 Guardian $525 and a fabulous 1970s Nbr. 24 (discontinued) Fishtail for $850 and I'd buy it in an instant (I've seen them go for $1,200 in not as good condition) had I just not ordered some knives and blew my budget for the rest of the year...Also check out their non-catalogued Ron Clinton Dealer special $899 and worth every penny.

* I have dealt with them
** My uncle and a couple of cousins use them a lot.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!