Looking for a "desk Dagger" - let me know if you see a Swiss

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Darrell

Re: Looking for a "desk Dagger" - let me know if you see a S

Post by Darrell »

McClarkus wrote:round 2 try.
OOooh, nice! Me likey! Great work, Mark! :) :)
Eppur si muove--Galileo
BDK

Post by BDK »

Great Job!
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

A nice milsurp should be cheap and sturdy. I am guessing that when the time comes to use one, looks will be secondary.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Only the Swiss would make a bayonet for conscript rifles look like a dress dagger: http://www.zib-militaria.de/Stgw58-bayo ... ather-frog

I have a number of these StGw 57 bayonets (not StGw58 as the weblink states - the StGw58 was a FAL clone for the Austrian Army). They are beautiful. They would not look out of place on your desk as an elegant letter opener.

They are marked either "W" or "V" for the two SAK makers (now merged), Wenger and Victorinox. They are the original SAK.

With the shipping from Germany, you're probably looking at $50 to $60 (Euros are expensive right now), so you can probably find them on fleabay for cheaper delivered to your door.

Like most bayonets, they usually come un-sharpened, so you can keep it on your desk without worrying about doofus coworkers hurting themselves with it. Of course, if you buy on fleabay, there is no guarantee that the prior owner didn't do you the "favor" of putting an edge on it. I've done it on one of mine. It was a lot of work, but the steel takes a fine edge.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Given that this thread is over 3 years old, I'm curious to know whether the OP ever found a dagger he liked. :roll:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop