Recommend a new pocket knife

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Aglifter

Recommend a new pocket knife

Post by Aglifter »

Folding, under $200, blade less than 4", w. a large handle. I've had my old Benchmade Leopard since I was 15, but I seem to have finally lost it, so I need a suggestion for a replacement.

I still carry folding utility knives, at times, and I have a folding sailing knife (and will probably buy a fixed blade one at some point) specifically for being able to cut modern rigging, but I'm looking for a new general tool.

I will use the handle to bang on things at times, etc, and I'd prefer something which didn't look too "weapon" like. (Given that I have no training w. a knife, and my size, and the remnants of my strength, if I'm relying on a knife, rather than just throwing someone across a room, or shooting them, I'm already in serious trouble.)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Darrell

Re: Recommend a new pocket knife

Post by Darrell »

I have a Benchmade Griptilian (I think), it's been a good knife. Too big to carry at work now (somebody got their panties in a wad about knives), so I've been carrying a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek for a year or two. All stainless, been a good knife so far. Not expensive, either.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Greg

Post by Greg »

I have 2 Leeks and I like them quite a bit, but large-handled they are not. They're fairly petit.

The only large folder I have is a ZT0200, but it probably wouldn't qualify as looking sufficiently non-weapon-like. I like it a lot though, and it's very sturdy. Maybe a ZT0350, it's not too different but is a little smaller and less 'tactical' looking.

If I may be allowed to suggest another forum, bladeforums.com is a good resource the s/n ratio is not too bad.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

What about a BenchmadeRift
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I like my Leatherman Skeletool for gerneral purporse stuff the CRKET m-16 for everything else.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Evyl Robot

Post by Evyl Robot »

CByrneIV wrote:Kershaw Ken Onion Blur, Boa, or Blackout.
+1. Jennifer carries a Blackout that Kershaw sent me to pacify me on a botched warranty handling of my TI/ZDP Leek. That was mostly a lack of communication on their part and they made it right even before sending freebies. The Blackout is way more solid than it feels at first.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

+2 I have the first whirlwind ever sold. In 14(?) years it has never hiccuped. Almost got me arrested once, but never didn't work. I only recently stopped carrying it as I find the Skeletool more handy.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I have a Kershaw Storm I bought a few years ago, never a problem. Here's the link to the knife from where I bought it:

http://newgraham.com/store/product/496/ ... PE-KS1470/

Odd things happen to things I carry in my pockets or wear extensively, I corroded half the stem off my last watch (and it wasn't a real cheap watch either). The Storm is getting a little beat up, I may end up replacing someday soon.
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

I carried a Kershaw/Ken Onion Vapor for nearly a decade, and finally replaced it with a Gerber Descent. I still have the Kershaw, but the blade profile and size of the Gerber are far better for me.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I bought a cheaper Gerber a few years ago, don't remember the model (and can't find it now!). I could not get the blade to take an edge, no matter how much I tried to sharpen it.
Last edited by Darrell on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eppur si muove--Galileo