Knife Sharpeners

The place to talk about knives, swords, edged weapons, sticks and impact weapons, restraints, and and the techniques and tools for preparedness and survival without firearms.
Darrell

Re: Knife Sharpeners

Post by Darrell »

Here's another, the Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener #221:

http://www.worksharptools.com/guided-fi ... r-221.html

This is not the electric-powered version, this is a hand tool. MSRP is $34.95, I got mine from Amazon for $28. It does work--outsharpens the DMT diamond sharpeners at work, and my Smiths diamond "stone" at home. It has angle guides, coarse and fine sides, a hone with coarse, fine and fish hook settings, and a small leather strop. The strop isn't a lot of use IMO, but the two diamond plates work as advertised. The coarse side is pretty aggressive, the fine side is pretty fine.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Darrell wrote:Here's another, the Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener #221:

http://www.worksharptools.com/guided-fi ... r-221.html

This is not the electric-powered version, this is a hand tool. MSRP is $34.95, I got mine from Amazon for $28. It does work--outsharpens the DMT diamond sharpeners at work, and my Smiths diamond "stone" at home. It has angle guides, coarse and fine sides, a hone with coarse, fine and fish hook settings, and a small leather strop. The strop isn't a lot of use IMO, but the two diamond plates work as advertised. The coarse side is pretty aggressive, the fine side is pretty fine.
Would the strop work well for keeping straight-razors sharp? I just want to clarify, there's a diamond sharpening stone with two sides, a coarse and fine side? Would the fine side be appropriate for renewing the edge on ceramic-blade kitchen knives? I'm NOT talking about taking a knife down to get a new angle on the blade, then finishing with the fine side. I'm looking to RENEW the edges on a couple of my favorite ceramic knives WITHOUT having to send them back to the factory. Is the "fine" side suitable (significantly fine) for such work to renew ceramic knife edges (if you know)?

If so, getting one of those sharpeners would be MUCH MORE convenient that wrapping my knives up and packing them away for shipment to the factory to be resharpened. Being able to do the renewing of the edge successfully at home would make everything MUCH MORE convenient - and allow me to sharpen almost everything in my kitchen without worry.

THANKS!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I can't answer your question, Mike. The two plates are diamond impregnated, one is quite coarse and aggressive, the other is fine. The instructions say that for normal sharpening the fine plate is sufficient. The ceramic hone along one side seems to work. The strop is just a small leather strip on the other side, they say it's been impregnated with a micro abrasive. I would think it would be gone in short order if put to hard use. I use a good ol' leather strap for stropping anyway.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Darrell wrote:The ceramic hone along one side seems to work. The strop is just a small leather strip on the other side, they say it's been impregnated with a micro abrasive. I would think it would be gone in short order if put to hard use. I use a good ol' leather strap for stropping anyway.
Yeah, but would you think HOME use would qualify as HARD USE? I'm not talking about stropping every few days, but perhaps more like at least a week between stropping (of course that also depends on how often I need to refresh my blade due to the coarseness of my whiskers).

*IF* the items perform as advertised, and I'm able to not only fresh my straight-razor blade blade and sharpen it too, along with being able to use the fine diamond side to refinish my ceramic knives, that sounds like one hell of a deal (*IF* it's true)!!

I might be looking forward to evaluating the sharpening tool in the near future, *IF* I decide to purchase it and try it out. If it works well, I'll be more than happy to give it a positive review and let everyone know how well it worked for ME!!

I still have to decide if I'm going to get it to try it out, then post a review. I have quite a few knives to try it out on - *IF* I get it. But *if* I do, you'll certainly know about it!!

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

If anyone's interested, I can recommend some very good sharpeners.

One uses natural stones, the other uses wheels.

Its, frankly, a bit disturbing how sharp those knives are, when they come back.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Aglifter wrote:If anyone's interested, I can recommend some very good sharpeners.

One uses natural stones, the other uses wheels.

Its, frankly, a bit disturbing how sharp those knives are, when they come back.
Do they include serrated or even "D" serrated blade knives and ceramic (straight) blades?

I'm interested. Right now, I can get razor sharpness with my straight-edge knives using my Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpener, using medium and their fine triangle ceramic stones. The only thing I can't sharpen is my straight-edge ceramic blades (which have gotten a LOT of use).

I'd much prefer the ability to sharpen my ceramic knives at home instead of sending them off to the Kyocera factory (even if I get a more consistent edge from factory sharpening).

What say you?