Anyone interested in a Texas/surrounding area get together?

Announcements for your geographic region, or province.
JAG2955

Anyone interested in a Texas/surrounding area get together?

Post by JAG2955 »

I was driving out to the range on Wednesday, and I started counting members in the vicinity of East Texas/driving distance. I asked at the range if they would be willing to rent out part of the range to a group of people. They said that they do, and to call their admin person. I figured that I'd ask here to see if there would be any interest in a GunCounter rendezvous.

The range is located outside College Station, TX. I have not yet inquired about price, but they said that we could easily rent a pistol/shotgun bay, and what they call "shooters ridge", which is a hill overlooking steel targets from 100-500yds. We may also be able to fit in at their 150-1100 yard steel range, but that is the most expensive one to rent, but we might be able to use it if no one else is. One of the nicest things about this range is the sheer number of steel targets there. Everything (NFA, MGs, rapid fire is encouraged) is allowed, except M855 (someone ventilated a Texas Star target on the pistol range recently.) I'd have to check on Tannerite. They have a clubhouse/classroom with indoor restroom and a sink. There may even be a stove, I'm not sure. Some picnic areas outside as well, in the vicinity of "shooters ridge" as well as the classroom.

The whole complex is a huge ranch, so there's lots of room, even when there are other people there. At least one of our members may be interested to know that there is a range member who flies his Piper Cub out to the range, lands, shoots, and takes off, all from the complex.

I didn't ask about specifics, but they may allow interested parties to camp/RV. If not, College Station is a relatively short 15-20 minute drive away, with lots of restaurants and hotels.

If it's not too late, I'd think maybe early May, but I'm just spitballing. Do it before it gets too damn hot here.

Anyone interested? I'm willing to do some of the legwork/setup for this.
PawPaw

Re: Anyone interested in a Texas/surrounding area get together?

Post by PawPaw »

I'm about five hours for College Station. Depending on which roads get fixed by then. I know at least one that washed out in the recent Sabine river flooding.

We'll be in Fort Worth on April 21-24 for the Texas State/ Southern Territorials shoot.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Since I have failed to put a Shooting Fiesta together for the last two or three years I am more than up for it.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I'd be interested in attending, depending on timing and my work schedule.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Precision

Post by Precision »

Interested, certainly.

But we are attempting to buy a house on 20 acres, so I might be a bit preoccupied. Let me know the particulars and the wife and I might make it out.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

10 hour drive for me. I'm lightly interested, depending on schedule, but don't count me in the tally.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

College Station? Shouldn't be a problem for me. Just need to know the date so I can get time off of work.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I'm waiting to hear about my application to the A&M PD. If I get the job, I'm game.

(I'm assuming you're talking about CCC. I haven't seen it since 2013. Love to see what they've done with it.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

If you can use Tannerite, do a direct purchase from them. Don't pay retail through the local MOD.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

So counting me, we're at about 7? Who would be bringing family/friends?
Langenator wrote:I'm waiting to hear about my application to the A&M PD. If I get the job, I'm game.

(I'm assuming you're talking about CCC. I haven't seen it since 2013. Love to see what they've done with it.)
Yep, best range around here, though it's expensive. Shooter's ridge just got cleared out last week, it's almost wide open now.

What would be our preference for dates? I can call the admin on Wednesday (first day that they re-open after the weekend) to see what the cost would be.