San Diego Environs

Announcements for your geographic region, or province.
Rumpshot

San Diego Environs

Post by Rumpshot »

The Mrs. & I have been married a damned long time. Will be 40 years two-thirds of the way through May this year. Trying to decide what to do to celebrate and get away from home for a couple days.

San Diego comes to mind. We have some tentative plans. We are still quite flexible in the planning department.

Why do I bring this up in this particular thread?

I thought you would never ask.....

There are a number of Gun Counter folks in the greater LA basin and south to the border. I would like to see those folks get together for a Meet-up and visit. I would like to be there and since I come from a FREE state, I have firearms that were acquired in Kommifornia, but are not legal there. I was thinking a dinner/luncheon of some sort would be a good compromise on the shooting.

Does anyone south of the Grapevine have any suggestions of a place to gather some misfits, dine, perhaps enjoy a libation, and tell some lies?
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Flintlock Tom

Re: San Diego Environs

Post by Flintlock Tom »

I think this is an outstanding idea!
(Although I can't imagine why you would want to celebrate your anniversary with a bunch of rowdy, knuckle-draggers.)
I vote for Pinnacle Peak Steakhouse. There's locations in Colton, San Dimas and Santee.

T-Bone steak, baked tater and beans.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Or for a bit of Chaldean adventure with kabobs and fresh pita bread: Ali Baba's in El Cajon.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

I was thinking it would be a good get together for the Gun Counter's. And we could spend a few minutes with the "others".

Anyone want to put this together?

Meat & Taters gets my vote anytime.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

What time frame you have in mind?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Pinnacle Peak has GREAT hard-core frontier food (their steaks rank as follows: Cowgirl = 15oz T-Bone; Kansas City = 16oz Bone-In New York; Cowboy = 20oz T-Bone; & Trail Boss = 28oz Porterhouse), and they're cooked over an open mesquite-wood fire pit. They come with salad and beans, other sides if you want them. The steaks are lightly sprinkled with Garlic Salt (I usually get some extra to share around the table). It's a GREAT steak-house. Wear an unwanted tie if you want to get some extra attention and a kiss from your server (with names like Cheyenne, Cinnamon, Rocky, Double-Down, etc., etc.).

I REALLY don't think they'd EVER open one of their restaurants in Hillcrest. :lol: :lol: But you never know, if they could get the business they wanted, I think the $$$$$$ would override their hesitation to have male servers kissing other male patrons after cutting their ties off.

I visit that restaurant once a month for our NRA Members Council meeting (they have a VERY large meeting room), and since my wife isn't usually with me, I frequently just get their VERY tasty burger, called a Wrangler - a 1/2 pound ground sirloin sandwich. It also comes with salad and beans.

You can find Pinnacle Peak's menu online by clicking here.

A good compromise between steak and seafood between San Diego, La Mesa, & El Cajon is The Brigantine Restaurant in La Mesa on the El Cajon summit, right off Interstate 8. You can find their various menus by clicking here. When I clicked on their dinner menu, this is what I got.

My wife (who HATES seafood) and I have eaten there many times. From what I saw, as long as you give them plenty of advance warning, they can get a bunch of tables together without too much trouble. Although the meat isn't as good as Pinnacle Peak, they do a good job of it and the same for the seafood - which is more of their specialty.

Personally, I can go either way - meat and/or seafood. My wife will only eat meat, so as long as it's available, she should be okay. I'm not real keen on middle-eastern food, but we enjoy Italian - and there's a GREAT AUTHENTIC Italian restaurant in El Cajon named Marechiaro's, on North Second Street. If you want REAL Italian food, go here! They've been around a LONG time and have an almost cult-like following. It's EXCELLENT!

Another good place if you want chicken and ribs is a place called Michael's Grill on Mission Gorge Road in the Vons' shopping center (near where the old Santee theaters used to be). They've been there over 20 years and fix EXCELLENT chicken dishes. I've heard their other dishes are as good, but I've never tried them 'cause I love their chicken so much I don't WANT to try them and fill up on it and not eat their chicken! They also cater, as does Marechiaro's, so if we decide on something other than a sit-down dinner and want our food BROUGHT TO US (like at the range or something), then they can handle it.

I'm flexible: I love Chinese (but haven't mentioned much here), LOVE seafood, LOVE great steaks, enjoy Italian, enjoy Japanese (to a certain degree - depending on what's being served, but LOVE Sushi and Sashimi as well as tempura), LOVE chicken, not a big fan of pork, not a big fan of Greek food (who knows, it might grow on me), and do NOT like eating BRAINS (especially while those are still in use), or other internal organs.

Muscle meat only for me, thank you VERY much! :D :D :D

We have a wide variety of places to choose from, and sometimes that's part of the problem (after all, right across the freeway from The Brigantine is Anthony's Seafood Grotto, which has a good selection of seafood but my wife won't want to go there due to their limited non-seafood selections - the La Mesa location menu is here).

I'm flexible - seafood or meat, my wife will only eat meat, so as long as it's available, we're good to go.

I'm looking forward to meeting some more of you folks! Let's make it happen!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Although I agree with all the places mentioned I think we should be careful not to exclude any folks further North that might want to come.
I would be willing to travel North, perhaps as far as Escondido or Oceanside if there are folks South of L.A. who would be willing to drive down that far.

Rumpshot, what are your parameters for location and time/date? I would be pleased to do some organizing for this.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Flintlock Tom wrote:Although I agree with all the places mentioned I think we should be careful not to exclude any folks further North that might want to come.
I would be willing to travel North, perhaps as far as Escondido or Oceanside if there are folks South of L.A. who would be willing to drive down that far.

Rumpshot, what are your parameters for location and time/date? I would be pleased to do some organizing for this.
I agree, if we can get folks from further north of us to attend, perhaps they can recommend similar restaurants up that way (either along I-5 OR I-15)? Hell, I wouldn't even mind some of the regular lurkers attending since for the most part, they have similar mind-sets and values, they just don't post, while usually finding/identifying someone else who does to reflect their views without them having to say so.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Flintlock Tom wrote:Although I agree with all the places mentioned I think we should be careful not to exclude any folks further North that might want to come.

Well, our anniversary is the 22nd of May. My weekend is normally Friday & Saturday. To celebrate a bit, we would probably burn 2 vacation days and spend Thu-Sun in the area. The actual timeline I would prefer would be 19-21 May, with a week later as the alternate.

I was hoping some of the folks from up north would chime in too and join in the festivities. Anywhere in the greater San Diego area, up to and including Orange county could be doable.

ETA: Even a picnic in a park would be good.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Sea Dawg

Post by Sea Dawg »

Regret that I will be out of town on those dates. You all have fun!
A free people ought ..to be armed. Geo. Washington, 1790