Navy/USMC trainer pilot strike.

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Rich

Navy/USMC trainer pilot strike.

Post by Rich »

I read this off my Kindle using the Fox News app.

It seems the Navy and Marine aircraft training program has hit a snag with a mysterious hypoxia problem involving the T-45 trainer and possibly the F/A-18 Hornet. It seems several pilots have barely survived landing the airplane and having had to be lifted out of the cockpit and carried away. There have been several crashes and bail-outs where this has been pointed at as the possible cause.

Complicating the issue is one of those pilots is the son of our current Vice President, Mike Pence.

Finger pointing is already occurring with some of the pilots blaming the Admiral in charge of the Navy flight training program. The Navy has responded by not forcing student pilots to fly scheduled missions.

The aircraft involved are both assembled by Boeing in St. Louis and presumably use similar or the same oxygen systems.

Situation could get a lot messier.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Kommander

Re: Navy/USMC trainer pilot strike.

Post by Kommander »

Any ideas as to why two planes that have been in use for decades old are suddenly having problems with their oxygen systems?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Kommander wrote:Any ideas as to why two planes that have been in use for decades old are suddenly having problems with their oxygen systems?
Doesn't sound like it is a sudden thing.... The situation appears to have been building for years, and has now come to a head.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04 ... ected.html
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

The part that got me was how this has been a problem for 5 or 6 years. Since when has mighty America gotten to where something like this, that is a threat to the life of every pilot that flies that thing every time they fly it, can go on that long until the pilots have to mutiny en mass to get something done about it? Doesn't sound to me like one Admiral needs to get court martialed and locked up, but a bunch of them.

All that Naval aviation power won't mean much if people in numbers start saying "you know, I think I'll pass on being a naval aviator.".
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Johnnyreb wrote:The part that got me was how this has been a problem for 5 or 6 years. Since when has mighty America gotten to where something like this, that is a threat to the life of every pilot that flies that thing every time they fly it, can go on that long until the pilots have to mutiny en mass to get something done about it? Doesn't sound to me like one Admiral needs to get court martialed and locked up, but a bunch of them.

All that Naval aviation power won't mean much if people in numbers start saying "you know, I think I'll pass on being a naval aviator.".
Detroit syndrome on a national scale. Probably also tied to environmental regulations forcing material changes, kinda like the space shuttle tank, and many other things.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

slowpoke wrote:Probably also tied to environmental regulations forcing material changes, kinda like the space shuttle tank, and many other things.
That was my thought, as well. Note also how all fingers seem to be pointing at an admiral or admirals. I am sure we all remember reading about the previous administration purging the high ranks of officers suspected of un-progressive leanings... This could be one of the first visible acts in the military moving to correct some of that. Doubtless there will be more Obama era deadwood shunted aside, but this one makes the news because of the novelty of military officers not only going on strike, but apparently facing no punitive action for doing so. That, and the connection to the VP's son.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich

Post by Rich »

Navy has grounded the T-45 for three days to try to come up with a fix.

In my opinion, the oxygen system has several filters that remove contaminants from previous users and one or more of them isn't doing the job. Possibly because of the aforementioned environmental change.

Also in my opinion, the fix will be to change the filter or to inspect the system more often and change as necessary.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

slowpoke wrote:
Johnnyreb wrote:The part that got me was how this has been a problem for 5 or 6 years. Since when has mighty America gotten to where something like this, that is a threat to the life of every pilot that flies that thing every time they fly it, can go on that long until the pilots have to mutiny en mass to get something done about it? Doesn't sound to me like one Admiral needs to get court martialed and locked up, but a bunch of them.

Detroit syndrome on a national scale. Probably also tied to environmental regulations forcing material changes, kinda like the space shuttle tank, and many other things.
Amen on that. People have no idea how valuable some materials are for some applications. The EU regulations driving removing trace lead from electrical components is causing all kinds of issues for no positive purpose at all.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

A friend of mine was killed in a trainer a few years ago. I wonder if this was why...?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
randy

Post by randy »

IIRC they basically grounded the F-22 fleet for a similar issue a few years ago.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".