Top 10 Main Battle Tanks

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
HTRN

Re: Top 10 Main Battle Tanks

Post by HTRN »

Thats my thinking as well, the future of tank killing belongs to long loiter drones equipped with small jdam munitions.

Meanwhile, i see electric motors and fuelcells as the future drive train, combined with sealed turrets and electrothermal cannons, along with active protection systems.. At least until the tanks become drones themselves.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Bolo!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Actually, i think its going to go the other way - smaller, lighter fire support weapons for infantry. Small fast, low emission, equipped with something like a bofors 57mm.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

My guess on what you will see on the next gen tanks is actually just stuff that is being retrofitted on current gen.

More active armor - especially protection from top attack.

Active anti-missile defense (including both mini-missiles and laser) and organic air defense (most likely missile but ????)

Ability to control remotes drones (both for targeting and with weapons systems)

OTH / non LOS weapons systems

All of this will push up the weight / cost. Thus it will probably come with a "low" cousin system for lower threat environments that can be used as a support weapon for the high threat environments.
toad

Post by toad »

skb12172 wrote:Bolo!
"look at the little toy tank! ZWark! UH....What happened to the barrel of my rifle? Mini Bolo.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote:Active anti-missile defense (including both mini-missiles and laser) and organic air defense (most likely missile but ????)
Quick Kill is probably going to be the first system used by the US, it was developed after seeing Israels "Trophy" system being installed on Merkavas. Its basically a bunch of claymore directional mines hooked to a computer equipped with radar.

Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

HOW MANY are fielded and would be used if the army went to war? This is an object lesson of General Patton's statement about how almost any plan, executed today will beat the best plan in the world executed tomorrow" .
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Windy Wilson wrote:HOW MANY are fielded and would be used if the army went to war? This is an object lesson of General Patton's statement about how almost any plan, executed today will beat the best plan in the world executed tomorrow" .
Patton's statement (which is really just him rephrasing Clausewitz - of whom he was a fan) regards operations.

Arming prior to a war or upgrading is a bit different. You can certainly screw yourself by spending all of your efforts on some technology that does doesn't pan out, but you can also screw yourself by sticking with a platform that is obsolete.