Army selects Sig handgun

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Vonz90

Re: Army selects Sig handgun

Post by Vonz90 »

Other than military police types, pistols just are not actually used much at all. Who cares. ;)
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Greg wrote:Does your uniform fit? ;)
Heh. Not so much anymore; seems some part of me decided my DD214 was a License to Fat.

But uniforms are actually sold to the military member, not issued. They might call it Clothing Issue, but if a uniform item is actually issued to you after basic, you are expected to know your sizes in advance and if you're wrong, on your own head be it.

This comparison would really only apply if not only the military did the same thing by "issuing" weapons to personnel, deducting the price out of their paycheck, and letting them modify them as needed (gunsmithing vs. tailoring in this case) and God help you if you're spec'd wrong. On the plus side: You get to keep it when you leave if you want.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jericho941 wrote:This comparison would really only apply if not only the military did the same thing by "issuing" weapons to personnel, deducting the price out of their paycheck, and letting them modify them as needed (gunsmithing vs. tailoring in this case) and God help you if you're spec'd wrong. On the plus side: You get to keep it when you leave if you want.
There's one hell of a recruiting bonus in there, and it wouldn't cost the government a penny. Join the military, and upon your honorable discharge, you leave with a fully transferable machine gun.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

You mean sort of like Switzerland, that hotbed of crime and urban violence??!!?? :lol:
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Netpackrat wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:This comparison would really only apply if not only the military did the same thing by "issuing" weapons to personnel, deducting the price out of their paycheck, and letting them modify them as needed (gunsmithing vs. tailoring in this case) and God help you if you're spec'd wrong. On the plus side: You get to keep it when you leave if you want.
There's one hell of a recruiting bonus in there, and it wouldn't cost the government a penny. Join the military, and upon your honorable discharge, you leave with a fully transferable machine gun.
Yep. What it would cost the military, though, is centralized control, and it is a government bureaucracy, after all. As far as the military is concerned, any weapon not under direct, serialized control is in the hands of the enemy. That mentality applies to most things; if a tool hasn't been turned in by the end of shift, it's in an intake. And so on.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jericho941 wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:
Yep. What it would cost the military, though, is centralized control, and it is a government bureaucracy, after all. As far as the military is concerned, any weapon not under direct, serialized control is in the hands of the enemy. That mentality applies to most things; if a tool hasn't been turned in by the end of shift, it's in an intake. And so on.
That's the beauty of it... All the weapons would be under that sort of control until the service member is discharged. Then it becomes ATF's problem.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

First Shirt wrote:Worst scores I ever turned in on .mil handguns was with the Beretta.
I couldn't hit a barn - from the inside - with a Beretta 92. They just don't fit my hands. I know other people who love them and get great results.

On a happier note, one of my students was fussing about his Ruger Mark II sights last night, and asked me to try it and see if I thought the sights were misadjusted. I took one shot, put it in the X-ring, and gave it back to him with an exhortation to more practice... I can hit stuff, just not with a Beretta!
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

The per unit cost is rumored to be $207.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:
I've had that thought before.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

I'd be happy if they'd just let service members buy them off the .mil contract for contract price.

The AF had a such a program in the 80's where you could buy laptops from the AF contract for the same price. At the time I could not find a reason to spend that much money on such a thing. What use would it have? I wasted it on guns, ammo and beer instead.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".