Army selects Sig handgun

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
D5CAV

Re: Army selects Sig handgun

Post by D5CAV »

Greg wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:
There's pretty much zero point in this type of modularity
Remind me, why do our service rifles have adjustable stocks again?
They do now? In the bad-old-days when I served, the M16A1 came with only one type of stock.

I believe the primary purpose of the collapse stock on the M4 is to save space in a combat vehicle, rather than adjusting pull length. Someone has to be pretty small to comfortably shoot that rifle from anything but the full-open position.

Besides, it's not like you get a choice of S, M, or L when you get issued your weapon. They are all issued with the same stock.

The "modular grip units" on the SIG sounds like a supply and maintenance nightmare.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I can't imagine that the Army would just start issuing full modular kits to everyone who gets issued a handgun. More than likely they will be issued single gun in one of the two or three configurations available and that's how it will stay. The benefit here isn't end user customization, but rather having a number of different sized handguns that all share the same method of operation and logistics. The only people I can see doing the whole modular gun thing is SOCOM.
randy

Post by randy »

D5CAV wrote:
randy wrote:Except for MPs, Sky Cops etc. performing LE duties on military installations. Then it's their primary weapons, just like civilian LE.
Even in the bad-old-days when I was in the service, guys who had specific LE duties had a SIG 228 instead of the M9 (the M11 IIRC).
During my bad-old-days the LE SPs carried M-9s (the Security SP troops and a lot of their officers mostly carried M-16s, M-203s or GAU-5s). Sigs were issued to OSI and others that had duties that included concealed carry.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Greg wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:
To adjust around armor. At least, that's the theory with the M4. M16s are still fixed.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jericho941 wrote:
Greg wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:
To adjust around armor. At least, that's the theory with the M4. M16s are still fixed.
Maybe you're wearing armor, maybe not. Maybe you're a big guy, maybe not so big.

Because, one size doesn't fit all?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

Kommander wrote:I can't imagine that the Army would just start issuing full modular kits to everyone who gets issued a handgun. More than likely they will be issued single gun in one of the two or three configurations available and that's how it will stay. The benefit here isn't end user customization, but rather having a number of different sized handguns that all share the same method of operation and logistics. The only people I can see doing the whole modular gun thing is SOCOM.
Er, maybe everyone who gets issued one of these will be issued one with a frame that fits them.

I know I'm saying the same thing you are, but you're dancing around the point in a very frustrating way.

Me, I get to the point.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Greg wrote:Maybe you're wearing armor, maybe not. Maybe you're a big guy, maybe not so big.

In practice, most people typically use the stock fully extended unless they're in armor, then they shorten it by one or just pull the vest in a bit so they can shoulder it without messing with the stock.

In any case, identifying the optimal stock position for one's build requires no disassembly or parts.
Greg wrote:Er, maybe everyone who gets issued one of these will be issued one with a frame that fits them.
Maybe your high speed low drag types will, but with range time often hard to come by for basic qualifications, I really doubt the Army will spend much additional time making sure everyone with a sidearm gets a "just right" grip. I'd bet... oh, five bucks that it's going to be the same case as with most military equipment: you'll take what you're issued and like it.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jericho941 wrote:
Greg wrote:Maybe you're wearing armor, maybe not. Maybe you're a big guy, maybe not so big.

In practice, most people typically use the stock fully extended unless they're in armor, then they shorten it by one or just pull the vest in a bit so they can shoulder it without messing with the stock.

In any case, identifying the optimal stock position for one's build requires no disassembly or parts.
Greg wrote:Er, maybe everyone who gets issued one of these will be issued one with a frame that fits them.
Maybe your high speed low drag types will, but with range time often hard to come by for basic qualifications, I really doubt the Army will spend much additional time making sure everyone with a sidearm gets a "just right" grip. I'd bet... oh, five bucks that it's going to be the same case as with most military equipment: you'll take what you're issued and like it.
Does your uniform fit? ;)

randy

Post by randy »

Greg wrote:
Does your uniform fit? ;)
Which ones?

The ones issued for initial training or special duty?

Or the ones you buy on your own dime at clothing sales so that you have enough to cover daily wear with a laundry reserve?

Or the ones you have custom made in the Ville? ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I know I'm saying the same thing you are, but you're dancing around the point in a very frustrating way.

Me, I get to the point.
Must be all those legal classes I've been taking.