US Deploying Tanks To Germany

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
skb12172

US Deploying Tanks To Germany

Post by skb12172 »

Is O'Penis teying to create tensions on his way out the door? Is this just normal troop movements?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-tanks-ro ... -invasion/
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Jericho941

Re: US Deploying Tanks To Germany

Post by Jericho941 »

This is normal, with a dash of politics. Putin's been trying to test how much, if anything, NATO means to the US, and whether or not he can grab some more buffer zones. This has made a lot of smaller NATO countries very nervous. This is pretty much the bog standard way to say "yes, we're serious about this."
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I've heard that there's no money to actually train with the tanks once they are unloaded in Germany, so it will be up to the new President to blow the budget on training funds or cut some popular free lunch program to pay for training.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Windy Wilson wrote:I've heard that there's no money to actually train with the tanks once they are unloaded in Germany, so it will be up to the new President to blow the budget on training funds or cut some popular free lunch program to pay for training.
It's 1979 all over again. Did he leave any burning helicopters on the South Lawn?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Strange. Did we not leave a lot of equipment in storage over there? Why waste the money?
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
randy

Post by randy »

Rod wrote:Strange. Did we not leave a lot of equipment in storage over there? Why waste the money?
I think a lot of it was deployed to the sandbox over the years or brought back over here during the "end of history". Cause, you know, the Russians were never imperialistic or expansionist before the Soviet era.

IIRC a bunch, if not most of the M-60's in Germany were "sold" to the Egyptians as payback for their support during DESERT SHIELD/STORM
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

We still use M60s???
randy

Post by randy »

skb12172 wrote:We still use M60s???
The Marines were still using them in DESERT SHIELD. I'm not sure if all the Army units had transitioned by then (although I believe the units deployed to Saudi were all M1 at that time). The ones I'm talking about might have been from units that had recently transitioned.

Remember the Abrams was relatively new then. Just few years earlier (1986) I don't think any had been deployed to Korea yet, they were due in the next year or so IIRC. Same with Blackhawks and Apaches and Bradleys. We still had Hueys and Cobras and M113's. All the new toys were headed to Europe first.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I see. I thought the Abrams was first deployed in 1980.
randy

Post by randy »

skb12172 wrote:I see. I thought the Abrams was first deployed in 1980.
There's a difference between "first deployed" (yay! a field unit haz one!), Initial Operational Capability (IOC)) (yay!, at least one combat coded unit is fully equipped with the new toy!) and fully fielded (yay! everyone haz been issued all of their allotment!)