Seeking info on WWII flare useage

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
JustinR

Seeking info on WWII flare useage

Post by JustinR »

Today at the antique store in Ft. Wayne, IN, I picked up a 37mm MK IV signal cartridge (expended) with an August 1943 manufacture date. As far as I can figure out, it's a yellow tracer with red and yellow starburst round according to the red and yellow rings on the tube.

My google-fu is failing. Does anyone know or have a US manual that details WWII flare useage for communication? I know that the M8 flare gun had lugs to lock into a port in the aircraft hull (sextant port maybe?) for communicating things like wounded crew to airfield personnel before landing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
randy

Re: Seeking info on WWII flare useage

Post by randy »

I know that in some cases, the colors of a flare cluster were used as recognition codes, particularly with ships. You had a specific color combination to put up, sometimes changing daily, other times for a one time use.

Some discussion on flare usage by the 8th AF here

Flares were also sometimes used to signal take off (such as when all aircraft of a bomber wing were rev'ed up and waiting for the go signal), or to signal a scramble at forward deployed fighter bases. Kept radio traffic to a minimum and denied German SIGINT troops as much of a warning as to what was coming as possible.

Also used by land forces as a prearranged signal for attack, begin artillery barrage, or cease artillery fire as the troops were ready to make their final assault. Could also be a signal that a particular objective had been achieved.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Thanks Randy. I did see another reference to the flare codes/meaning changing daily, so that would make more sense as to why I didn't find anything concrete in my search. The Gun Counter comes through again. :)
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I haven't done it yet but see if you can google up a WWII-ish "GMG3&2."

I can check my WW II editions of the Bluejacket's Manual at work tomorrow.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Steamforger wrote:I haven't done it yet but see if you can google up a WWII-ish "GMG3&2."

I can check my WW II editions of the Bluejacket's Manual at work tomorrow.
That was interesting reading! I tried to find some of the other manuals referenced, and was only partially successful. Still haven't found a chart or guide "if X happens, you shoot Y colored flare."

Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I also have an AO 3&2 here somewhere. I'll take a look when I have a moment.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Picture...
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

The best I can come up with is it is a 2 star (Red, Amber) flare with a amber tracer.

I did find a list of color combinations buried in a forum somewhere, but can't seem to reproduce those exact results. Attached is a pic of similar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
toad

Post by toad »

Flares from aircraft were also used for dead recogining . The navigator would fire a flare and watch it as it fell to get wind drift estimates. Also some would float for a while and he could get a differential between the Aircraft and the water. These were usually single color flares though. Battle field illumination with parachute flares continued.
During the Viet war the Air Force tried to develop a "Frisbee flare" as a cheaper alternative to the parachute flare.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

The next time I run across my NATOPS manual for the CH-46, I'll try to remember to take a look inside to see if it has anything on the use of flares.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad