Kommander visits the USS Iowa, becomes artist. (56K warning)

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Kommander

Kommander visits the USS Iowa, becomes artist. (56K warning)

Post by Kommander »

A few months ago I posted a picture about my leather working, including a strap for an old Nikon F. I've been taking a film photography class at my local junior college and have been enjoying it greatly. From what I can tell the facilities date back to the 1960's, but everything is in working order (most of the time). For my finial I decided to go to the USS Iowa in And Pedro and take some abstractish pictures of the ship. The idea was not to just take a series of tourist photographs, but to create something that qualified as "art". After burning through three rolls this is what I ended up with. These scanned from are 8x10 prints taken on Ilford HP5 plus 400 speed film with a Nikon F with a 50mm f/1.4 lens.

Aesop

Re: Kommander visits the USS Iowa, becomes artist. (56K warning)

Post by Aesop »

Nice work.
We must have just missed each other; I finally visited it the other day too.
Taking a camera next time, but the tour and the ship are impressive, and everything you'd expect.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"