70% of Marine Aircraft Grounded

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Vonz90

70% of Marine Aircraft Grounded

Post by Vonz90 »

Another day, another unmitigated disaster in the Obama military.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/0 ... cmp=hplnws
PawPaw

Re: 70% of Marine Aircraft Grounded

Post by PawPaw »

Yeah, I saw that earlier today. He's making the Carter presidency look better and better.

I was on active duty during Carter's watch, and I remember how horrible it was. When Reagan took over, it was like the whole military exhaled a giant sigh of relief. It took us several years to rebuild, but at least we didn't feel like bastard children.

And, Carter had gone to Boat School, so he at least had some military education and experience.

Do any of the current pretenders have any military background?
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

PawPaw wrote:Yeah, I saw that earlier today. He's making the Carter presidency look better and better.

I was on active duty during Carter's watch, and I remember how horrible it was. When Reagan took over, it was like the whole military exhaled a giant sigh of relief. It took us several years to rebuild, but at least we didn't feel like bastard children.

And, Carter had gone to Boat School, so he at least had some military education and experience.

Do any of the current pretenders have any military background?
Kerry is a war hero, just ask him.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Warner did, but he was the first one run out of the Dem race.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Since reporters often don't use the right terminology, I wonder if 70% are REALLY unairworthy or simply broken. In the civilian world, Minimum Equipment Lists (MEL) put together from the manufacturer and operator and approved by the FAA allow us to operate aircraft with certain things inop. I have no idea if the military has such procedures (others will have to share their experience.) If they do, 70% actually being unfit to fly is a failure of massive proportions that should have politicians swinging from lampposts.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Rich

Post by Rich »

Are they Mission Incapable or unfit to fly or Hangar Queens? My guess given the numbers quoted is the first.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

So their cann program looks more or less like what the Air Force has been doing for the last 20 years or so. Musical cann birds. Haul one in, strip it down to make the other jets fly, then pick a new cann bird and rebuild the old one with parts from the new one (and whatever replacement parts actually showed up) so the process doesn't generate any red flags.
old joke.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Warner did, but he was the first one run out of the Dem race.
James Webb too.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I suspect TPTB at 8th & I will simply bide their time, and point out at the opportune moment that the birds cannot fly, because the women maintaining them can't reach high enough or lift the necessary heavy parts into place. 8-)

Then sit back and watch the SecDef's and SecNav's heads explode, and wait for the inevitable congressional investigations.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Aesop wrote:I suspect TPTB at 8th & I will simply bide their time, and point out at the opportune moment that the birds cannot fly, because the women maintaining them can't reach high enough or lift the necessary heavy parts into place. 8-)

Then sit back and watch the SecDef's and SecNav's heads explode, and wait for the inevitable congressional investigations.
"So, general, you're saying that the parts shortage you're facing is a shortage of... penises? You don't have enough spare penises to install in your fighters?"
"They all used to be the right color, the right height, the right weight. And they all had Johnsons, Senator! You know... There were Johnsons as far as the eye can see!"