Heckler & Koch to build new US Army sniper rifle

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
randy

Heckler & Koch to build new US Army sniper rifle

Post by randy »

From a Janes email:
Heckler & Koch has been awarded the US Army's Compact Semi-Automatic Sniper System (CSASS) with a potential USD44.5 million initial contract, according to a 1 April announcement.

The German company's US subsidiary bested seven other bids for the work, understood to be with its Heckler & Koch G28 (Gewehr-28) Designated Marksman Rifle, meant to supplement the army's 7.62 mm M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System (SASS) fleet.

Under the deal the army could order up to 3,643 CSASS units, after initial qualification and operational testing on 30 CSASS units.
Anyone else in the world would use this as a marketing opportunity in the US, but since we suck and they hate us I wouldn't hold my breath
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
JustinR

Re: Heckler & Koch to build new US Army sniper rifle

Post by JustinR »

Look for the scope to be on backwards in the first promotional material. :lol:
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Or load rounds backward in a magazine.

And this will also cause the fanboys to start drooling.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Read about this elsewhere. Apparently lots of people are butt-hurt over the cost... They are dividing the total contract value by the number of actual rifles, and calling that the "cost per rifle" without taking into account that the contract also includes lots of gear, spares, and support. But because they can put together an AR-10 from parts for a fraction of that, the taxpayers are therefore getting ripped off. :roll:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Netpackrat wrote:Read about this elsewhere. Apparently lots of people are butt-hurt over the cost... They are dividing the total contract value by the number of actual rifles, and calling that the "cost per rifle" without taking into account that the contract also includes lots of gear, spares, and support. But because they can put together an AR-10 from parts for a fraction of that, the taxpayers are therefore getting ripped off. :roll:

Well, the taxpayer ARE getting ripped off. That's axiomatic. Just not the way they think.
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote: They are dividing the total contract value by the number of actual rifles, and calling that the "cost per rifle"
Like people that come up with the number of unemployed people in the US by multiplying the unemployment rate by the total US population. Thanks for playing, but... :roll:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

How much will the guns actually cost, and how much will be skimmed off into black ops slush funds?
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Notwithstanding the current PE crooks who own HK, back in the day when Bush 1st (spit) banned importation of guns for civilian sale that failed some fictional "sporting purposes" test by executive order, something neither BHO nor Clinton ever tried, it was only HK that spent money on ads and lobbying to challenge that order.

Bill Ruger thought Bush 1st (spit) order was a splendid idea.

Just setting the record straight on the "HK hates civilian" meme.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe