Old rations channel

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Weetabix

Re: Old rations channel

Post by Weetabix »

JAG2955 wrote:MRE gum isn't even that well preserved after a year or two.
Nor the M&M's. Why is it always the candies of color that get neglected?!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

First Shirt wrote:If it doesn't work for you, I'll see if I can pin Mom down to an actual, measurable, recipe. Do NOT, under any circumstances, hold your breath while I try. Between my work schedule, and Mom's delusions of "upscale" it might take a week or more!! (She thinks that people of substance and learning eat biscuits with every meal, not just for breakfast.)
They don't? We (particularly my wife) might try, if we didn't have to worry about little things like being able to fit through doorways. :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
toad

Post by toad »

After watching the "comfort" package video I have a hankering for , " A delectable blend of meat and gravy served tastefully over a shingle."
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Greg wrote:
First Shirt wrote:If it doesn't work for you, I'll see if I can pin Mom down to an actual, measurable, recipe. Do NOT, under any circumstances, hold your breath while I try. Between my work schedule, and Mom's delusions of "upscale" it might take a week or more!! (She thinks that people of substance and learning eat biscuits with every meal, not just for breakfast.)
They don't? We (particularly my wife) might try, if we didn't have to worry about little things like being able to fit through doorways. :lol:
Having once been a Civil War reenactor and spent some time "down South", I developed an affinity for biscuits and gravy. While on our honeymoon my wife saw it on my plate at a breakfast buffet and wondered at her wisdom in marrying me, until she tasted it. She's now hooked on that bit of wonderfulness, although she does concern herself (overly much, IMHO) about the fat content of the gravy.

As an aside, despite being Italian on her parent's side, she calls the tomato-based stuff put on pasta "sauce", not "gravy". She says those who call it gravy are gavones.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Weetabix wrote:
JAG2955 wrote:MRE gum isn't even that well preserved after a year or two.
Nor the M&M's. Why is it always the candies of color that get neglected?!
February 1996, Base X (actually, just our secondary hangar since were in the middle of a Phase II exercise), I wind up with an MRE. I think it was turkey tetrazzini. Maybe chicken a la king. It was meat and surrounding possible starchy material. The candy packet was M&Ms... listed as "The Official Candy of the 1984 Olympic Games!"

The food was edible and I didn't get the runs so I guess you can go a few years past shelf life sometimes.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds