Paraguay keeping M3 Stuart, M4 Sherman tanks in service

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
randy

Paraguay keeping M3 Stuart, M4 Sherman tanks in service

Post by randy »

Just thought this was interesting:

Link
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
g-man

Re: Paraguay keeping M3 Stuart, M4 Sherman tanks in service

Post by g-man »

Looking around on teh intarwebz a bit, it appears these are pretty much the extent of their armor capabilities. So, if you've got a spare $250k lying around, you could pick up the Chieftain that's available and then take over Paraguay. Just sayin'...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

That's cool, although I can't imagine why they would need tanks, but I admit I'm ignorant of Paraguay's military posture or threats.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

g-man wrote:Looking around on teh intarwebz a bit, it appears these are pretty much the extent of their armor capabilities. So, if you've got a spare $250k lying around, you could pick up the Chieftain that's available and then take over Paraguay. Just sayin'...
The tank is a relative bargain at a quarter mil, but being in Oklahoma the G4 stuff will kill ya. ;)
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Jered

Post by Jered »

The French upgunned some Shermans with a 105mm cannon.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

They appear to be using them as trainers,

People use all sorts of old crap as trainers, the USAF still uses H model Hueys for their primary rotorwing trainer after all. When did those start coming off the assembly line? 1966?
g-man

Post by g-man »

Their entire army is smaller than the average U.S. division, and have only a handful of armored vehicles, all of which could be driven through by the Chieftain, much less an Abrams. I think it was mentioned when the Chieftain was previously for sale that with that one tank you could take on pretty much any 3rd world Army and fare pretty well. Still, I think it's pretty cool that they're still rolling get the Shermans.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Greg

Post by Greg »

g-man wrote:Their entire army is smaller than the average U.S. division, and have only a handful of armored vehicles, all of which could be driven through by the Chieftain, much less an Abrams. I think it was mentioned when the Chieftain was previously for sale that with that one tank you could take on pretty much any 3rd world Army and fare pretty well. Still, I think it's pretty cool that they're still rolling get the Shermans.
Hey Costa Rica doesn't have an army at all. No need to worry about a coup....

And who needs an army when you've got an Uncle to pay the freight?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

g-man wrote:Looking around on teh intarwebz a bit, it appears these are pretty much the extent of their armor capabilities. So, if you've got a spare $250k lying around, you could pick up the Chieftain that's available and then take over Paraguay. Just sayin'...
I was at the auction when the hammer came down on that very same Chieftain for a little over $100k.

The real deal, if I had the money, was the Leopard 2 with live gun and two power packs that sold for about $200k.

At that very same auction, the Sherman tanks sold for between $500k and $1 million.

Paraguay should sell their WW2 era tanks for big $$$s to collectors and buy some of the surplus Leopard 2's floating around the global arms market.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe