Paraguay keeping M3 Stuart, M4 Sherman tanks in service

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
D5CAV

Re: Paraguay keeping M3 Stuart, M4 Sherman tanks in service

Post by D5CAV »

Actually, there was a British officer who would regularly go into battle in WW2 leading his troops with a basket hilt claymore - "Mad Jack" Churchill: http://badassoftheweek.com/churchill.html

He also used longbows (he was the British longbow champion from the 1930s) and would often lead his men into battle playing his bagpipes.

He was quoted as complaining "If it wasn't for those damned Yanks, we could have kept this war going for another ten years!"

After the war, he ended up as a surfer in Australia.

Yeah, they broke the mold after he came out.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

HTRN wrote:
SoupOrMan wrote: And at no point is he shouting "Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword!" which is kind of sad in a way.
4chan turns grimderp into cracky awesomeness :ugeek: :mrgreen:
One of my coworkers is a former cav scout and tank commander. I should ask him if he ever shouted that while underway.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

D5CAV wrote:Actually, there was a British officer who would regularly go into battle in WW2 leading his troops with a basket hilt claymore - "Mad Jack" Churchill: http://badassoftheweek.com/churchill.html

He also used longbows (he was the British longbow champion from the 1930s) and would often lead his men into battle playing his bagpipes.

He was quoted as complaining "If it wasn't for those damned Yanks, we could have kept this war going for another ten years!"

After the war, he ended up as a surfer in Australia.

Yeah, they broke the mold after he came out.
Oh, I'm familiar with Mad Jack. But that quote is from the same lunatics that took a game that sets the standard for grimdark in scifi gaming, and turned it inside out. These are the same lunatics that came up with the Angry Marines :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

D5CAV wrote:Yeah, they broke the mold after he came out.
Not entirely. They keep on making warriors. I had the pleasure of meeting this unassuming, softly-spoken, modest gentleman recently:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... yonet.html