Airforce to do away with the rifle detail at funerals

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Wrenchbender1

Airforce to do away with the rifle detail at funerals

Post by Wrenchbender1 »

Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master.
- Demosthenes
PawPaw

Re: Airforce to do away with the rifle detail at funerals

Post by PawPaw »

If it's true, it's a damned shame.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The comments seem to tell the whole story better than the article does.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

I always thought it was the 3 volleys mentioned in the comments. When my wife's uncle passed in 2003 IIRC the Legion did the honors and it was 3 rifles, 3 volleys.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Yet another log on the funeral pyre of AF leadership.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

g-man wrote:Yet another log on the funeral pyre of AF [strike]leadership[/strike] management.
FIFY

They've missed a golden opportunity:

"Effective Jan 1st, all USAF military funerals have featured a Missing Man flyover by F-35s instead of a graveside rifle honors detail."
"I was at a funeral last week, and I didn't see any such flyover."
"See how well the F-35's stealth systems work?!"
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
toad

Post by toad »

I was watching a you tube video on the P38 in the Pacific war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCapVFcVR1o
Those pilots, mechanics, and other support , CB's in particular, had a long hard war. With OJT on how to use the P-38 to best advantage. One thing that struck me was an old pilot saying they learned not to fight the Japanese but to kill them. They'd form up and when they saw Japanese aircraft they'd make a high speed pass through them shooting everyone they could get in their gun sights and try to keep at least a two man formation, then after they got through the japs, they'd form up and come at them again, and again, and again.
I'm afraid politically it will come to that here. It may be useless trying to fight the parasites, we may just have to kill them.
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Cobar wrote:I always thought it was the 3 volleys mentioned in the comments. When my wife's uncle passed in 2003 IIRC the Legion did the honors and it was 3 rifles, 3 volleys.
That's how we've been doing it for years at the VFW; three M1 Garands, three volleys. Present Arms, Taps is played on the electronic trumpet, the flag is folded by the uniformed military detail, and then we mill around picking up the empty cartridge-cases. We don't even have seven rifles.
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Don't think for a minute this is unplanned. Some caack in the chain of command decided this is a way to make the public squeal in indignation to bring heat on Congress and the Senate to give the Air force back its' slush money.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

toad wrote:I was watching a you tube video on the P38 in the Pacific war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCapVFcVR1o
Those pilots, mechanics, and other support , CB's in particular, had a long hard war. With OJT on how to use the P-38 to best advantage. One thing that struck me was an old pilot saying they learned not to fight the Japanese but to kill them. They'd form up and when they saw Japanese aircraft they'd make a high speed pass through them shooting everyone they could get in their gun sights and try to keep at least a two man formation, then after they got through the japs, they'd form up and come at them again, and again, and again.
I'm afraid politically it will come to that here. It may be useless trying to fight the parasites, we may just have to kill them.
Isn't that what happened in Argentina?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.