U.S. military and intelligence undermining Obama on Syria

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
JustinR

U.S. military and intelligence undermining Obama on Syria

Post by JustinR »

h/t Drudge: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n01/seymour-m- ... o-military

If this is true, and it seems to be credible, then the excretement is far deeper than most Americans realize. I try to stay informed and knew it was a mess, but I don't have any experience in that world like some of you do, so it may not be as much of a shock. Obviously, most of the machinations that go on in those circles aren't visible to the general public most of the time.

Actively undermining the POTUS is a dangerous game, and I certainly understand their reasonings for doing so. What was that Chinese curse again? May you live in interesting times...
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
PawPaw

Re: U.S. military and intelligence undermining Obama on Syri

Post by PawPaw »

No, actually, the facts on the ground undermined Obama in Syria. He chose not to see the facts, just as he chooses to not see certain facts in Iran.

We elected a man with no foreign policy experience at a time when the biggest challenges were foreign policy challenges. Even Truman, as an ex-captain of artillery had more foreign policy experience than Obama. His world view is such that everyone outside the US looks on him as week. Even the Washington Post this morning described his foreign policy decisions as "feckless".

T he foreign service doesn't need to undermine Obama. He's going to do that all by himself.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

It's the foreign-policy equivalent of "If only Comrade Stalin knew what was being done in his name." Anything to protect King Putt.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

PawPaw wrote:No, actually, the facts on the ground undermined Obama in Syria. He chose not to see the facts, just as he chooses to not see certain facts in Iran.

We elected [strike]a man with no foreign policy experience[/strike] an ideologue at a time when the biggest challenges were foreign policy challenges. Even Truman, as an ex-captain of artillery had more foreign policy experience than Obama. His world view is such that everyone outside the US looks on him as week. Even the Washington Post this morning described his foreign policy decisions as "feckless".

T he foreign service doesn't need to undermine Obama. He's going to do that all by himself.
FIFY - there have been a number of very successful Presidents (and other national leaders in other countries) who came into the job with little or no relevant experience. The problem with Obama are two fold. First, his goals are not the same as most of the rest of the country (and mostly unstated) and second, when it comes down to a contest between reality and his ideology, ideology wins every time. (Those two actually reinforce each other because his goals are very much wrapped up in his world view.)

The first is what it is, the second is always a recipe for disaster.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

^^this^^

He's stubborn and narcissistic to boot. So he doubles down on stupid when things aren't working for him.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

blackeagle603 wrote:^^this^^

He's stubborn and narcissistic to boot. So he doubles down on stupid when things aren't working for him.
To borrow from Douglas Adams, "Obama's worldview is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate." :lol:
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

"Imagine you were a gay racist Muslim terrorist foreigner, and imagine you were Barack Obama...but I repeat myself."

The military isn't undermining anything.

A policy (/administration/entire political party) based on:
1. Insert Hopey Changey thing
2. Then, the Underpants Gnome
3. Unmitigated success!
is the entire problem.

That the military intelligence reports aren't composed with the same rhetorical devil-may-care attitude towards facts as the reports of the mainstream media is generally regarded as a feature, not a bug.
Except by the media, and the president. But I repeat myself.
Hence the linked article.
QED.

This is a guy whose mad presidential skillz are the real-world equivalent of Mr. Carlson's understanding of gallopavo aerodynamics.

What's hurting The Chosen One the most is the damned pesky kid in every crowd pointing out the Emperor's nudity.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Y'all are right of course, it is the facts and reality on the ground that are undermining Obama and his ideology, I didn't state that very well. I guess I'm surprised that Obama's narcissism hasn't caused more heads to roll as a result, and that career military and intelligence personnel are just about in open revolt over how badly Obama has screwed things up.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
randy

Post by randy »

Maybe this is case of a stopped clock is right twice a day, but I would taken anything from Hersh with a LARGE grain of salt. Even when he bothers to get his facts straight (and so long as they don't interfere with his agenda of the day) he is a pettty vindictive prick that has burned people in the intel community when they wouldn't play ball with prviding him information.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Termite

Post by Termite »

If the DOD generals are deciding to say "Fuck you, you stupid bastard Muslim apologist who only got elected POTUS because 45% of the American public is functionally retarded", and decide to over-ride BHO's foreign policy lunacy...........I"m OK with that. :evil: :evil: :evil:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."