And with that, thousands of new flame wars were launched

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Langenator

And with that, thousands of new flame wars were launched

Post by Langenator »

The Marine Corps has authorized MARSOC operators to carry Glock pistols, since many of the elite outfit's members prefer the popular 9mm over the custom .45 pistols the service bought them in 2012.

http://m.military.com/daily-news/2015/0 ... oc-45.html
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
PawPaw

Re: And with that, thousands of new flame wars were launched

Post by PawPaw »

The hell you say.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I do not know much about MARSOC, but I imagine that this is just like the question of "what rifle/pistol/knife/whatever the SEALs use?"

The answer of course being just about everything at some time or another because the different teams do different things, they have a lot of freedom to pick what they want and it changes early and often depending on the individuals and what they are doing.

Meh.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I have only limited experience with 1911's. Limited, I think, to having shot Felix's in California one delightful day at the range. So I may be asking dumb questions here.

"Beavertail grip safety?" I thought the beaver tail was the thing that keeps the slide from hitting your hand and the grip safety was on the grip. I don't remember the grip safety being a problem. I have an XD9 with a grip safety. Again, I've not had a problem with it. This one sounds like a training issue. I thought Special Operations guys got a lot of training.

"Horizontal stovepipe?" Isn't that an FTE?

I don't know about the other malfunction issues. I'll let the better informed speak to those.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Yeah. Limp-wristed Nancy-boys get those. Those same limp-wristed Nancy-boys that have a problem with the grip safety.

I don't have a problem with Glock or 1911. Own both, shoot both. Shoot them well. But, if you're limp-wristing your Glock you'll get stovepipes too. Just sayin'.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Rod

Post by Rod »

Weetabix wrote:I have only limited experience with 1911's. Limited, I think, to having shot Felix's in California one delightful day at the range. So I may be asking dumb questions here.

"Beavertail grip safety?" I thought the beaver tail was the thing that keeps the slide from hitting your hand and the grip safety was on the grip. I don't remember the grip safety being a problem. I have an XD9 with a grip safety. Again, I've not had a problem with it. This one sounds like a training issue. I thought Special Operations guys got a lot of training.

I don't know about the other malfunction issues. I'll let the better informed speak to those.
Terminology, the grip safety is integral in the back of the frame under the hammer, it pushed against a flat spring to release the hammer when depressed; the "beavertail" is the top of the grip safety that protects your hand. Very complex explanation in the following two pictures.
Standard grip safety
standard.jpg
Beavertail grip safety
beaver.jpg
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Gotcha. It looks like the bottom one would be easier with gloves than the top one. I confess, then, that I don't understand the problem they're trying to describe.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Seems to me that with a tendency to grip too high, they're not getting enough leverage on the grip safety, so it doesn't disengage. While that could be a training problem, it might be a tricky one to fix, since a lot of pistol training emphasizes getting as high of a grip as possible.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Jericho941 wrote:Seems to me that with a tendency to grip too high, they're not getting enough leverage on the grip safety, so it doesn't disengage. While that could be a training problem, it might be a tricky one to fix, since a lot of pistol training emphasizes getting as high of a grip as possible.
I'd think Marines should understand "high and tight." :P