Syrian Fishbed on a bombing run...

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Cybrludite

Syrian Fishbed on a bombing run...

Post by Cybrludite »

"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Aesop

Re: Syrian Fishbed on a bombing run...

Post by Aesop »

The amazing thing is they spent all that time babbling "Allahu ahkbar!" and giving Achmed the Pilot a free pass, instead of expending all available ordnance, especially tracers, along the a/c's intended flight path. Give the little shit on the stick something to think about as he's coming in for the run besides putting the pipper on their heads and pickling it off. A couple of Dishka's lighting him up on final would probably make it a lot harder to see over the dashboard with his sphincter sucking him down into the seat cushion and all.

Fer cryin' out loud, send those rebels some Playstations or something, for training purposes.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

It's that "Inshallah" school of marksmanship. You can hear the gunfire pick up as the MiG rolls in, and you can see the tracers well under it as the bomb falls.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

The scrunching their eyes closed while they fire probably helps a good deal.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Spraying small arms at a fast mover on a low bomb run while praying for a golden BB is every bit as effective as spraying small arms at a fast mover on a low bomb run while hoping for a golden BB.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Said almost half of the guys who never made it back from the Hanoi Hilton.

Your goal isn't to shoot the sumbitch down (although that would be a happy serendipity), it's simply to get him more worried about what's coming up to not pay attention to what he's trying to drop down on you.

Historically, this is notably easier with Arabic pilots fascinated by bright things flying by, like tracers, while chanting "Allahu ahkbar!"
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

A couple of fast movers were hit by massed small arms fire during the Falklands war. I think one was a Skyhawk which eventually crashed.
Not much of a statistical sample to go on though...just added for interest
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Jericho941 wrote:Spraying small arms at a fast mover on a low bomb run while praying for a golden BB is every bit as effective as spraying small arms at a fast mover on a low bomb run while hoping for a golden BB.
When that's what you've got, that's what you use.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

PawPaw wrote:When that's what you've got, that's what you use.
Quoted for truth!!!

Dad always said that the fight ain't over 'til you quit fighting.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

When your options are: "Shoot back" or "lube up the butthole", you go with what you know.