Question for you Navy guys

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Netpackrat

Re: Question for you Navy guys

Post by Netpackrat »

CByrneIV wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:
CByrneIV wrote:They soak the area in epoxy and microfiller, then vacuum bag them. When the epoxy cures, they sand, fill, and recoat the piece.
Vacuum bagging is pretty common in cloth layup, but I've never heard of it being done with filler.
Microballoons in the epoxy. Fills in the gaps. It's not filler in the way that most people think of it.
Just enough to thicken the resin, then. I have heard of that before, although I never used it that way in any layups I have done.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
308Mike

Re: Question for you Navy guys

Post by 308Mike »

Netpackrat wrote:
CByrneIV wrote:
Netpackrat wrote: Vacuum bagging is pretty common in cloth layup, but I've never heard of it being done with filler.
Microballoons in the epoxy. Fills in the gaps. It's not filler in the way that most people think of it.
Just enough to thicken the resin, then. I have heard of that before, although I never used it that way in any layups I have done.
But you probably don't also work with Radar Absorbent Material (RAM) on AS FREQUENT a basis as those folks. The material needs to be able to let through the frequencies they WANT to pass through but not others.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad