Army selects Sig handgun

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Jericho941

Re: Army selects Sig handgun

Post by Jericho941 »

Never signed, but honors it in principle.

The trouble with the LOAC is that you may not be a signatory to a particular law of warfare but you may find yourself held to it if things don't work out your way. Just ask Nazi "We Never Signed the Geneva Conventions" Germany.
randy

Post by randy »

Jericho941 wrote:Never signed, but honors it in principle.

The trouble with the LOAC is that you may not be a signatory to a particular law of warfare but you may find yourself held to it if things don't work out your way. Just ask Nazi "We Never Signed the Geneva Conventions" Germany.
Or Imperial "We Never Signed the Geneva Conventions" Japan
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Germany did sign the Geneva Conventions - the only major powers that did not were Japan ant the USSR.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

So, Miil.Gov is throwing a bone to Sig this time around?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Jericho941 wrote:IOW, Army Selects Absolute Garbage for Idiot Reasons, Water is Wet
scipioafricanus wrote:Is the debate more that the 9mm NATO ball is garbage vs civilian +P, JHPs, current ammo?

Yeah yeah, can't use it because of the Haig... perhaps it is time to revisit that decision.
Honestly, I don't think anyone actually expected to use 9mm in anger has deployed with FMJ in decades. Even in Air Force basic training circa 2008 they talked about hollowpoints being a legal gray area "and if they are legal and the mission requires them, the Air Force will issue them to you."

There's pretty much zero point in this type of modularity, which was the excuse for awarding the contract to a company that hasn't produced a quality firearm in over a decade.

It's a sidearm. "Caliber is dictated by the mission" my ass, not when it comes to pistols.
SIG doesn't make quality guns?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Vonz90 wrote:

Germany did sign the Geneva Conventions - the only major powers that did not were Japan ant the USSR.
Huh, I stand corrected.
scipioafricanus wrote:SIG doesn't make quality guns?
I was exaggerating a bit and apparently they've been getting their act together (I believe JAG had more info on that), but they've spent an awful lot of time churning out flashy junk with well-documented quality control problems.

It seems they've completely given up on the SIG-556 line and the P320 apparently replaces the disappointing P250.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Solution in search of a problem.

By the time you reach for your handgun, the S### is so bad, you are wondering if you remembered to sharpen your knife.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
randy

Post by randy »

Except for MPs, Sky Cops etc. performing LE duties on military installations. Then it's their primary weapons, just like civilian LE.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jericho941 wrote:
There's pretty much zero point in this type of modularity
Remind me, why do our service rifles have adjustable stocks again?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

randy wrote:Except for MPs, Sky Cops etc. performing LE duties on military installations. Then it's their primary weapons, just like civilian LE.
Even in the bad-old-days when I was in the service, guys who had specific LE duties had a SIG 228 instead of the M9 (the M11 IIRC). There's not enough of those types to justify changing over every handgun in the US Army.

Someone must have sufficiently greased some congressman's palm to get that contract. Given the amount of time we spent on M9 quals vs. M16 quals, I doubt those M9s have worn out yet.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe