WWII Warbirds Flying Overhead This Weekend

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
Netpackrat

Re: WWII Warbirds Flying Overhead This Weekend

Post by Netpackrat »

I agree with Randy. What happened, happened, and painting over the swastikas isn't much different in my book, than redacting from history books, sections that deal with the holocaust.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Not putting them on the paint job of a warbird, vintage or repro, is a bit like grinding them off of collectible firearms: rather pointless and silly.
As long as nobody flying them tries to annex the Sudetenland.
Marketing an insecticide called "Zyklon B" would be beyond the bounds of decency though.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Uh huh. I used to do Civil War re-enacting, the Confederates carried Confederate Battle Flags (which, contrary to popular belief, is NOT the Stars-and-Bars, that's the Confederate national flag) when historically appropriate, most of them did anyway. One group had one with the red and blue reversed (stars in a red X on a blue background), which I assume was a nod to the PC police, we all thought looked like a Chinese-made tablecloth.

You can be historically accurate, or you can be PC. I'd rather it be historically accurate.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

As long as nobody flying them tries to annex the Sudetenland.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for annexing the Sudetenland. I just don't want the Nazi's involved.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:Around these parts hearing R-2800 engines thundering overhead is a normal occurrence.
DC-6? A-26 water bomber conversion? 18 thundering cylinders of freedom. (No accident that it powered the Hellcat, Corsair *and* P-47.)

Anyway that sounds surprisingly appealing. But we're weird, we *like* living near an airport. We've got 2 local fields within a couple of miles of us. One of which is a regular stop on EAA tours, so we gets B-17's that come by....
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

DC-6.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop