Microburst Event Video at US Air Force Academy Airfield

A place to talk about all things military, paramilitary, tactical, strategic, and logistical.
JAG2955

Re: Microburst Event Video at US Air Force Academy Airfield

Post by JAG2955 »

Afterward, the microburst was awarded a bronze star, three air medals, and got a meritorious promotion.

Because inter-service and academy rivalry.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

mekender wrote:Wait, so judging from the condition and size of the runways I am seeing on aerial maps, they dont get all that much jet traffic... So WTF are they complaining about??? The occasional prop plane gives them the vapors?
Yup. I don't know of a jet ever landing there. It's all prop driven aircraft--single engine trainers, tow planes and gliders, and the jump planes. When the trainers take off or land, there tend to be several at a time, at regular intervals.

We do get a free air show each year when the Thunderbirds come to town to help celebrate graduation day by performing over the academy. Also, during football season, examples of much of the AF inventory just happen to show up in order to do flyovers of the stadium before game time. All the jets land near my place, at Pete Field, to refuel before heading back wherever they came from.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

That's a pretty impressive video.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

:jacked:
randy wrote:
From Me

To: Anyone that has built, or bought a home built in the vicinity of an existing airfield, particularly military, and now complains about the noise

Fuck you

Strong Message to follow
You have no idea how many people who would agree with you suddenly want to lawyer up when the airport they're living next to wants to expand size or operations or the street they were a block away from becomes a four lane highway with the noise and fumes associated.
The meeting of the "Toughski shitski, that little airport was there when you bought in" crowd, and the "It's a change in nature of use, and a nuisance is a nuisance" crowd (both legitimate lines of judicial rulings, BTW) is a truly awesome thing to behold.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote:Oh, as a side note:
From Me

To: Anyone that has built, or bought a home built in the vicinity of an existing airfield, particularly military, and now complains about the noise

Fuck you

Strong Message to follow
What you said, X1000. Many's the time I have wished it were legal to decorate airport fences with the heads of those who bitched about the noise. And I used to live close to where the DC-6's did their runups.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

Had the pleasure of meeting a fellow tonight bitching about us test running an overhauled Rotax 503 at 9:00 PM at L66. He has a 14x72 mobile home. He gets to park it rent free on airport property, thanks to the Town of Pollock(he pays for electricity and water/sewage). Came over bitching about how we were making his dogs bark and the wife didn't like the noise.

Dude, [strike]you live[/strike] you're a squatter at the airport....... :roll:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Termite wrote:Had the pleasure of meeting a fellow tonight bitching about us test running an overhauled Rotax 503 at 9:00 PM at L66. He has a 14x72 mobile home. He gets to park it rent free on airport property, thanks to the Town of Pollock(he pays for electricity and water/sewage). Came over bitching about how we were making his dogs bark and the wife didn't like the noise.

If the airport has taken federal funds, you can probably get the FAA to make the city evict him.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Termite wrote:Had the pleasure of meeting a fellow tonight bitching about us test running an overhauled Rotax 503 at 9:00 PM at L66. He has a 14x72 mobile home. He gets to park it rent free on airport property, thanks to the Town of Pollock(he pays for electricity and water/sewage). Came over bitching about how we were making his dogs bark and the wife didn't like the noise.

Do planes bark on take-off now?
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I would be tempted to point the engine away from his domicile, and test the dispersion pattern on a jug of bear spray in the prop wash.
It's guaranteed to give the dog something else to think about than barking, and you can't get ballistics off of slipstream vapors.

Somewhat less evil would be leaving all manner of food refuse and 'coon and skunk scent lures just beyond the range of Fido's tether.
The constant attentions of those nocturnal creatures, and the occasional reflex squirt of eau de polecat is bound to have doggie barking at shadows all night long, long after you and the engine test crew are long gone, with solid alibis.

Also, IIRC, my brother and I were still pre-teens when we determined that the ballistic trajectory of dirt clods onto metal roofs from a wrist rocket was somewhere in the vicinity of 150 yards, once you zeroed your target.

You could even combine things, and launch the varmint bait in from far enough away to go unnoticed.

Kinda takes the fun out of squatting, I suspect.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"