Here we go again: Hurricane Delta

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
randy

Here we go again: Hurricane Delta

Post by randy »

All Y'all that may be in the path take care and check in when able.

For those of you with Ham licenses or with short wave radios, here's something I posted on our local Amateur Radio Emergency Service website. You can also usually find internet sites that allow you to monitor the traffic without a radio:
Hurricane Delta is approaching the US Gulf coast, expecting to hit Louisiana on Friday, 9 October.

The Hurricane Watch Net, WX4NHC, plans to activate at 1200Z (08:00 ET) 9 October operating on 14.325 MHz (USB) by day and 7.268 MHz (LSB) by night.

In addition:

The Louisiana ARES HF net will be active on 7.255 MHz ±10 kHz during daylight hours and on 3.878 MHz (±3 kHz) at night starting at mid-day Friday.

The International SATERN SSB Net (14.265 MHz, alternate 14.312 MHz) and the Southern Territory SATERN SSB Net (7.265 MHz) plan to activate Thursday through Saturday.

Please give these nets room to operate if you are on the HF bands the next few days.

(Some information came from the ARRL Newsletter)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Termite

Re: Here we go again: Hurricane Delta

Post by Termite »

I came thru fine, power flickered a few times, but never stayed out for any real length of time. Pawpaw had about the same experience, I believe.

However, our EAA 614 clubhouse did not fair so well. It's located on the airport at K2L0, on the lakeshore and it got over 3 ft of water in it. We did have 10-13 inches of rain, and we suspected that we might get a couple of inches in it; but this is unprecedented. During Gustov our area received over 20 inches of rain in 24 hrs, and the lake did not flood nearly so bad.
We know that when Louisiana DOTD upgraded the highway on the lake south shore several yrs ago, they re-routed a lot of drainage that went other places into the lake.........and the spillway/control gate was never designed to handle all the added water.

The club may not survive this.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Windy Wilson

Re: Here we go again: Hurricane Delta

Post by Windy Wilson »

Now they’re naming hurricanes after faded 80’s sitcom stars? Who’s next, Jamison Parker?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy