March For Our Lives events - anyone else attend?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Weetabix

March For Our Lives events - anyone else attend?

Post by Weetabix »

Did anyone else make it to a March For Our Lives event today? Here's my report:

My office window overlooks quite a bit of an area scheduled for one. I went mostly to observe humanity in mass, and just see what happened. The inviolable dictum is "Avoid crowds." So I was watching from my office window.

I can't see the entire area from my window, and just happened to be overlooking the black lives matter table at the SE corner. More stuff going on on the stage at the NW corner.

My buddy estimated 400, but I estimate more like 800-1000 at the peak.

Lots of haranguing through loudspeakers from the stage. I'd guess it was >80% brainless useful idiots.

Interestingly, they said the pledge of allegiance and sang the Star Spangled Banner. That seemed counter intuitive to me based on what I thought most of their views were on America and such.

Lots of signs about gun control, while they failed to realize that Parkwood (or whatever the name was) was entirely about government failing to do its job and round up the shooter before he became a shooter.

Lots of old ladies holding signs.

BLM working hard to make it about them, even though, I don't think any black kids died at Parkwood.

The BLM group was quite instructive to watch. They had a leader in heavy work boots that have probably never been involved in work (he looked very flabby and soft). Two guys who I think were security. Add in several angry black youth. Some white, colored-hair gay fellows (they were kissing earlier), some white lesbians (ditto, plus lots of hand holding), and one ineffectual looking white doofus male.

There was a small group with Gadsden flags, the one guy open carrying.

BLM sent the fat, angry white ladies and doofus to try to provoke the Gadsden people. Then they sent over the middle-aged hysterical lefty woman to try harder to provoke. They'd previously given doofus a large BLM flag to fly right by the Gadsden folks. He kept walking back over to the BLM table for instructions, it looked like.

Gadsden people were polite and not getting ruffled. Eventually, hysterical woman lost it and started screaming obscenities we could hear over the noise from the stage.

THEN, Boots (the leader) goes over to calm them down and demonstrate his rational restraint (I believe in part because he saw the cops edging over).

And, they had the "security" guys (think menacing-looking thugs) standing perimeter about 5 yards away. Security guys were being quiet and relatively still, but quite attentive.

So, I think what they were doing was using the white useful idiots to take the risks - maybe provoking violence, maybe getting arrested - while they staid back and manipulated.

One of the black lives matter security people eventually saw us watching them through binoculars, so he waved at me. I waved back. He grinned, then began pointing me out to others who also waved. I waved. Friendly Weetabix. I'm not convinced they were as friendly as they meant to appear.

No violence, no angry confrontation that I saw at the event except from hysterical woman. I think she blew a gasket in typical lefty fashion when she couldn't get them to say she was right and they probably responded rationally.

It was just interesting. BLM trying to make it about them and manipulating the useful idiots to try to provoke a confrontation. Gun rights people behaving and responding rationally.

But... do you think any lefty there saw that and changed what they think? Hollow laugh.

My mother-in-law was there with her sister. MIL had much more energy to march around in solidarity with brainless zombies than Auntie did. I only saw that Auntie made one circuit of the march, but MIL made several. I may not be able to resist asking her about it next time she's here.

I was listening to the scanner to see who else was watching and on what frequencies. The local PD Tac frequency had a bit of chatter, but not much. They spotted open carry guy coming in from a direction I couldn't see. That helped us spot him earlier. Other than that, they were pretty quiet. Though I did see a lot of PD on cell phones. I had a Baofeng set up as a "bubba scanner" for all the bubble pack radio frequencies. Didn't hear a thing on that. That surprised me. I'd bet they were using social media to coordinate.

Endless opportunities for hilarious trolling at something like this. But... Avoid crowds.

My son said, "I want to join the Lefty’s protest sometime (posing), and then conspicuously convert over to rational, right opinions after a few minutes of hysterical conversation with them. Just to make the liberals all ruffled up in their righteous feathers."

My missed opportunity: It would have been hilarious to have gone out the night before and put up small markers that said something like “200 yards, hold 1 inch high” with wind flags on top. Just to see if anyone noticed. :twisted:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Langenator

Re: March For Our Lives events - anyone else attend?

Post by Langenator »

There's a march scheduled this afternoon/evening on the campus where I work (Texas A&M). I work night shift, and we haven't been told to come in early, so I probably won't see any of it. I'll see what, if anything, we get told at shift brief.

If I wasn't working this weekend, I would have gone over with my Gonzalez and/or Gadsden flags just for fun. Maybe make some signs with quotes from the Founders, or a sign that said "Remember, the Revolution started with a gun grab."
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

How quaint to have a march to take away peoples' rights.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Local faceplant page was talking about it.

I learned a few things:

* Being a teacher is now a high risk occupation.
* The NRA has forbidden EVERYONE from researching gun issues.

And the best for last?

* The 2nd Amendment is not in the Constitution. It is in the Declaration of Independence. It was put there because we were going to war with Britain and since that war is over, it is no longer valid.
randy

Post by randy »

Had one locally. I didn't go. Local media says "hundreds" gathered at the square downtown for the local franchise meeting. Which is the usual turnout for "progressive" events. Looks like the usual collection of true believers and useful idiots from the write up.

Made my contribution by taking Darlin' Daughter downtown to pick up her CCW permit, likely the most useful contribution to ending "gun violence" made around here today. (at the least, the violence will not be one sided)

A couple of thoughts:

Having sincerity and passion for a cause does not mean you are correct.

I get that people, especially kids, are angry and scared. Ask the Japanese American population of California how laws passed by angry and fearful people work out.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I've decided it's pointless to be a Jeffersonian Libertarian. I'm tired of the arguments, the ad-hominem attacks, and the lack of dates.

I have decided to become a Communist. I've already chosen a title for myself - party secretary for water treatment and distribution. Of course my staff will have to be armed to protect "critical infrastructure".

From these demonstrations, I see so many strong eager young people who will be "shovel ready" to help with that critical water infrastructure when the revolution comes.

As the Great Helmsman said, "power comes out of the barrel of a gun, which is why the Party must control all guns". That would be me - as well as the water.

Or as Blondie said in "Il Buono, Il Bruto, Il Cattivo", "There are two kinds of people in this world, those with loaded guns and those who dig."
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Rod

Post by Rod »

I quickly set up a counter protest in El Paso after I saw the local Democrat party hacks, including Beto O'Rourke who is trying to win out on a snowball's chance in Hell, of beating Ted Cruz. 9 people showed up and we were across the street from the park where the event was taking place. I had coordinated with the local PD and we were very cordially treated by them. I got the cell number of the LT. in charge and we stressed that we weren't trying to start a confrontation. Two men with ARs and 4 others with open carry pistols in retention holsters. There were about 200 people present at the event where the idiots kept speaking about everything under the sun. We got a laugh when O'Rourke told a story about meeting a vet who said he carried an AR-15 in Nam and said civilians didn't need that firepower. News media came over to talk to us, The anti's took pictures of us and our signs, we smiled and waved the signs for them. We engaged a couple of people who came close and were very polite. About 10 cars passed honking their horns at us and giving thumbs up. At the end, they announced their walk, about 4 blocks and cautioned that the crowd should not engage us because we would start trouble. Another mirth fest ensued as our group headed out to take a short cut to the next venue.
We arrived at the next stop, San Jacinto Plaza, where people were already set up. We centered ourselves on a couple of benches on the outskirts. No one approached but again they took pictures. The mob finally showed up from the rally chanting Hey, hey, get rid of the NRA. A group of them swarmed around us and started insulting and screaming, trying to get a reaction. The police wandered over and they left us. One guy pointed us out to his 5 year old and said, "See them? They're evil men."
Other statements that cracked us up. "You love your guns more than you love our kids!". Calm reply, was we love our kids, that's why we have guns.
Woman asked me if I knew the meaning of the Gadsden flag. I told her I had taught social studies for 17 years and knew exactly what it meant, did she. She said she did then walked away when I asked her to explain. I'm guessing she was going to call it a racist flag.
Others came over to have civil conversations, lots of dogs to admire and talk about. One girl of about 15 had a sign saying End Boyfriend Loophole. I humorously mentioned that that was the funniest sign I saw. She started lecturing us that the boyfriend loophole was the "fact" that, domestic violence laws meant that married men or women (she was at least smart enough to know that) who was convicted of domestic violence lost their rights to own guns. BUT, according to here, that wasn't so with boyfriends. Two of us corrected her and told her she might want to check the laws, being as polite as possible without breaking into gales of laughter. A woman standing by and listening in said she'd check that out and we told her to feel free.
At the end of the event, I thanked the police and they had replied we handled ourselves well and they thanked us for NOT trying to start trouble.
Takeaways:
Teachers bringing whole classes
Lots of parents with children
Children 8 and under carrying signs that they couldn't even read
Politicians using any chance to lay out their failed agenda
Leftists trying to start trouble when we wouldn't
Misinformed idiots in abundance
Possibility that our reasoned responses and non-violence actually change a couple of minds.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

There seems to have been a correlation that happened that linked what these idiots think of the rest of us in their minds to the Gadsden, Culpepper, and Navy Jack flags. As usual, no one did even a scrap of research.

Because they don't know what a fascist is, and believe with every fiber of their being that we are the fascists, they have concluded these flags are fascist flags and only carried around by NAZIIISSSSSS!!!!!!!

These people are nothing more than rusty tools.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

See, this is why I don't bring up my "submachineguns should be sold from vending machines" position at work.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

There were tens of people at the protest I saw yesterday.

Somehow, there was one guy in the crowd -- near the edge, but definitely in the crowd -- with a sign reading something like, "Why do liberal Democrats keep shooting up our schools, nightclubs, and churches?" ("Impressive," says Darth Vader.) No one appeared to be giving the guy a hard time, either.

I stayed away. I have kind of a short fuse (temper, that is).
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!