Dick's Goes Zumbo

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
HTRN

Re: Dick's Goes Zumbo

Post by HTRN »

I dont even see why they bother selling guns at all - theyres little profit in selling new ones. And they take up a tremendous amount of space that could be devoted to something more profitable. Huntimg isnt one of their core market segments anymore, so why bother?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rod

Post by Rod »

This should be interesting, especially in a state that has very strict discrimination laws.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bu ... 398288002/
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I'd be really interested to see someone try the same line of argument regarding booze. Or marijuana, in a state where it's legal.

My position has always been that there should be one age at which a person is a legal adult and full citizen, entitled to all of the priviledges and immunities thereof. Voting, entering into contracts, purchasing guns, getting married (which is really just a specific kind of contract), joining the military (another contract), buying legal intoxicants, etc. Just pick one. 18, 21 25, whatever.

If you want to get more complicated, there could be some sort of "adulthood test", along the lines of the citizenship test required for naturalization. Perhaps also a suspension of certain rights (such as the right to vote) for things like dependency on .gov welfare programs.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

HTRN wrote:I dont even see why they bother selling guns at all - theyres little profit in selling new ones. And they take up a tremendous amount of space that could be devoted to something more profitable. Huntimg isnt one of their core market segments anymore, so why bother?
Assuming they are good at what they do, it is not just a question of how much money is spent on the firearms/ammo/other direct hunting and shooting supplies. It is a question of what other things the people who buy those things also buy (and even their families). So maybe someone only buys ammo there once a year plus a hunting license in the fall. If he is going to buy his kids cleats and baseball bats and his running shoes and wife's workout clothes somewhere else if they don't have that stuff when he needs it, then it is worth it to keep the stuff there. (BTW - this guy could be me, as I have bought a bow at Dick's in the past and probably some ammo here and there, but have spent a lot of money on stuff for the kids per year, plus my running gear, etc. - but WTF now they lost all that business to Academy et al.)
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

HTRN wrote:I dont even see why they bother selling guns at all - theyres little profit in selling new ones. And they take up a tremendous amount of space that could be devoted to something more profitable. Huntimg isnt one of their core market segments anymore, so why bother?

Hunting hasn't been a core segment for decades if ever. Their gun counter is honestly smaller than some folks gun-safes. :D

Profit on firearms is minuscule compared to the shelf space. Ammo is a proven money maker, but they probably make more money selling yoga mats than their entire "outdoor" section.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

NVGdude wrote:

Hunting hasn't been a core segment for decades if ever. Their gun counter is honestly smaller than some folks gun-safes. :D

Profit on firearms is minuscule compared to the shelf space. Ammo is a proven money maker, but they probably make more money selling yoga mats than their entire "outdoor" section.
See my note above. For retail, it is not necessarily how much money you make on something, just "not having it" will drive a segment of ones business to other places. So it does not matter how much money you make on those products, it matters how much money you loose because those specific people are not coming into your location any longer.

Even for commercial / industrial; there are lots of products carried even if the direct profit is trivial to non existent. A couple of years ago we developed some new products for a specific customer that we probably will not sell more than $5-10k a year on (a couple orders of magnitude below what we would normally consider the minimum for a new product development), but it was for a big customer and a lot of other business was dependent on also having these specific products. So net/net it made business sense.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

I think I am going to make it a point to buy my Hunting License at Dicks from now on. And nothing Else. :mrgreen:

(Licenses make the retailer $0, it's another "get you in the door" item)
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Langenator wrote: Just pick one. 18, 21 25, whatever.
Don't give them any ideas, there are already psychiatrists talking about how one doesn't become an adult anyway until age 25. Move the limit to make any of the decisions/contracts you mentioned to age 25 and leave the voting age at 18 and the whole idea of moving the voting age to 16 is achieved.
Langenator wrote: If you want to get more complicated, there could be some sort of "adulthood test", along the lines of the citizenship test required for naturalization. Perhaps also a suspension of certain rights (such as the right to vote) for things like dependency on .gov welfare programs.
I've said in the past that the citizenship test should be given before voting is allowed. The trouble is, if the test is administered from the leftist's school books, particularly those of Howard Zinn, it would be worse than the current system.

And Vonz90, thanks for the Dicks photo.

Rod, you might be on to something, I recall that you couldn't hire under-21's for waitressing service in bars in California, so some argument can be made about hiring under 21's to sell arms. Of course, the solution is to fire them, and leave the pool of places where they can be hired even smaller, leaving the potential employees even more at the mercy of Leftist teachers.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Now, they are paying the expected price.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/dicks- ... un-stance/
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

HAha.gif