Winter 2017-18: A harbinger of things to come?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Rich

Re: Winter 2017-18: A harbinger of things to come?

Post by Rich »

Yeah, I remember sitting in my bedroom in Phoenix listening to police on my scanner and realizing the ones I was hearing were Detroit cops, on low vhf band.

Skip was very good that evening.

Many decades ago at Shaw AFB, I got commercial FM skip from Miami, on my dinky Heathkit FM-4 tuner. Never did it again.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
g-man

Post by g-man »

Listened to the conclusion of a Kentucky basketball game being played in Lexington one evening on the AM radio in my '65 Galaxie. From my driveway. In Birmingham AL.

As for the "Cyclone Bomb" or whatever ridiculous-assed term they've come up with to sensationalize this latest 'winter storm': Had some grief with it last night. My parents are flying from Raleigh to SFO on Saturday to visit. I had a SNAFU with the online seat-selection tool, so I called Virgin to sort it out. Put myself in the 'virtual queue' so they'd call me back and I could go on with my evening. They called back almost an hour later, and the lady was really, really happy that all I had was a seating screw-up for a flight on Saturday. This because that issue was much simpler than the previous few calls from people caught up in the storm, who trying to get anywhere-but-the-damn-east-coast...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Used to listen to WLS (?) out of Chicago at night, in Decatur, AL.

Dealt with some interesting low VHF skip in Korea, a time or two.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Rich

Post by Rich »

Wasn't WLS and some others designated Clear Channel Stations meaning other stations on the same frequency had to shut down at night? Is that still in effect? I remember as a kid listening to the Boston and New York stations, and years later listening to Wolfman Jack from just across the Tex-Mex border while residing all over the South.

Good times.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I once listened to a Blackhawks game out of Chicago in the car, while driving on 80 through PA. My dad used to pull in Detroit R&B stations from Barberton, OH as a kid.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Jered

Post by Jered »

It warmed up here.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote:I was stupid enough to visit Canada in January.
I once drove to monneapolis, on new years eve, weqring only a leather motorcycle jacket, to help a buddies brother move . Going there wasnt so bad in a packed van, but coming home in an empty van was another story, the heater xouldnt keep up for that large a volume, and sitting on carboard on the steel deck didnt help either. :cry:

That got filed under "shit i will never do again". :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

HTRN wrote:
I once drove to monneapolis, on new years eve, weqring only a leather motorcycle jacket, to help a buddies brother move . Going there wasnt so bad in a packed van, but coming home in an empty van was another story, the heater xouldnt keep up for that large a volume, and sitting on carboard on the steel deck didnt help either. :cry:

It probably would have been a bit less chilly if you had remembered some pants. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:

Well, I've got good news and bad news. Good news is, you're a great buddy. Bad news is, you're not real bright. :lol:

The other day I was talking about the recent cold snap with someone who knew I've lived in MA. He suggested, that this probably wasn't too bad for me, seeing as I lived in New England. When I told him, nope, this was colder than anything I ever saw in New England, he was surprised- also surprised to hear St Louis is colder than Boston.

(Boston is wetter, and in spring and fall, especially fall, you have miserable extended periods where it's 40deg, windy and pouring rain. Like November. But St Louis gets colder.)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr