Texas church shooting

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Netpackrat

Re: Texas church shooting

Post by Netpackrat »

That info must not have made it into the NICS check. It is being reported that he applied for a Texas CCW and was denied.

Also, it seems to bear repeating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE9qooFUqsk
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Vonz90 wrote:So how did he pass a background check with a DD in his record?
I heard on the radio that the DD wasn't accurate. It was maybe a domestic violence conviction while in the .mil? Still a valid question, though, since that should have raised a flag, too.

ETA: he certainly would have falsified a 4473, though, too.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It's now being reported that he had a Bad Conduct Discharge. But the domestic violence conviction would still seem to make him a prohibited person.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

HotAir has noted this (linking to ABC News): https://hotair.com/archives/2017/11/06/ ... er-killed/

The same article also notes that he received 12 months confinement (prison) for conviction on 2 counts of domestic assault (wife, kid). Depending on how they ran the sentences (consecutive vs concurrent), that might have disqualified him as well, per 922(g)(1). (Actually, given the way 922(g)(1) reads, "any crime punishable by 1 year or more", and the way the UCMJ reads "such punishment as the court shall direct," almost any UCMJ conviction could be disqualifying. (Unless there's something in the non-punitive articles that I missed.)

The same article notes that the state of Texas denied his application for a LTC, presumably due to the conviction, but that the federal system allowed him to buy the gun. So the disconnect presumably existed somewhere between the USAF/DoD and DoJ/FBI/NICS.

In the same post, local/state police seem to be saying that the motive may have been domestic, and the church may have been targeted because the shooter's MIL attended there.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Termite wrote:Rumor has it the Texas DPS- Criminal Investigation branch is taking the lead. IIRC, that's the Texas Rangers.
EDIT: YEP, sure is.

Abbott should call Trump and ask him to keep the FBI in the background, as the FBI is likely compromised.
Even more now that it came out FBI NICS passed his purchase, when he was a prohibited person :shock:
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

And moonbats are already trying for more gun control.

If it comes out that he passed a background check when he shouldn't have, well, it wouldn't be the first time.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Termite wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:I already carry a stack of books with me and a bag/case with my Bible and notes in it. All related to my either teaching, leading music or both on any given Sunday. Probably could go to a knapsack or even briefcase without anyone thinking a thing of it. Put a locking handgun case inside that and be good to go.
Here you go.
biblegunsafe.jpg
Am I the only one who saw this, noticed the book it opens to, and thought “Shouldn’t that be back a little further, in Judges?”

ETA: or maybe better, at Ezekiel 25:17?
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Sold my cloak and bought a sword a LONG time ago. I have many Brethren in our Church.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Am I the only one who saw this, noticed the book it opens to, and thought “Shouldn’t that be back a little further, in Judges?”

ETA: or maybe better, at Ezekiel 25:17?
LOL, Well played sir. Well played. :lol:
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story