No time for Berghdahl

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Rich

Re: No time for Berghdahl

Post by Rich »

President Trump = President Tweet.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote:Also, 50 million people who made statements against Bergdahl were not the commander in chief of the military.
This

It's called Command Influence and it's always been a way to screw up a valid prosecution whether the "command" doing the influence in question is a 2Lt or the CinC.

I've been involved in situations where one of the troops in my unit was involved in something that made the papers and was advised from on high to say nothing, to anyone, in or out of the unit on the subject unless/until I was interviewed by a JAG or testifying on it in front of a Court Martial.

In this case you could argue there was Command Influence each way, in shitbird's favor by Obama and their "honorable service" narrative and against by Trump.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Regardless of all those worthwhile observations about command climate etc... I'll lay better than 50/50 odds that Trump has his eye on a larger "command climate" and audience issue -- that of the electorate (he moves the middle to pay attention and vote), and that of general officers who might be thinking of doing stupid things that would have got them promoted during the past 8 years (but are now certain to be career limiting).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

I'll reserve comment. Anything I would have to say about Pvt. Bergdahl would contain at least ten of the "seven words you can't say on television."
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Termite

Post by Termite »

The cynical side of me hopes Berghdahl is found hanging near BHO's DC home, with an SF flash pinned in his forehead......... :twisted:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

After 9-11 the Senate issued a declaration of war on terrorism and anyone who supports same, with I think it was just one Dem voting no. And President Bush declared that war would be pursued regardless of national boundaries. Since then I don't recall that war ever being declared to be over. So the scum deserted in time of war while on the field of battle.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Johnnyreb wrote:After 9-11 the Senate issued a declaration of war on terrorism and anyone who supports same, with I think it was just one Dem voting no. And President Bush declared that war would be pursued regardless of national boundaries. Since then I don't recall that war ever being declared to be over. So the scum deserted in time of war while on the field of battle.
Nope. What the Senate passed was an "authorization of the use of force" against practitioners of a tactic. Fundamentally no different than the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, or any of the other non-declarations of war they have passed since the end of WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authoriza ... Terrorists
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop